Liverock Die Off

Josh

When liverock is shipped to you it is the die off from shipping that causes your ammonia/nitrite spike correct? So if i am cycling a tank with liverock that only hit fresh air for about 30s-1min will i have little to 0 ammonia from die off?

Reason i am asking is during my move in a week im setting up my future sump for a future build at the new house and transferring most of my liverock from my biocube 29. Im fairly sure for the ~24 hours temporarily the tank will do fine with the ~2" deep sandbed that is alive, as well as my chaeto reactor.

I am wondering essentially if i fill the tank with saltwater from sealife. It should contain alot of the proper bacteria already coupled with my ~40-60 lbs of liverock it should seriously limit the stress on the fish for the move? I would love to mix my own salt water however ill have to take apart my ro/di from my current place and move and set it up at the new place then slowly fill ~100 gallons. Would take too long unfortunately.

Trying to limit the stress to my fish / coral as best as i can.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
The water is not what contains the live bacteria, it is your rock and sandbed. By all means buy water but the reason would be to get it filled quicker, not to provide good bacteria.

You may get a bit of die off (ammonia) but get some Prime to have handy and use it daily for the first week and you should be fine. Prime doesn't stop the ammonia but it does neutralize it so that your fish won't notice the effects of the ammonia while the tank goes through a mini cycle.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member