Diy Chaeto Reactor

shiftline

Website Affiliate
This was actually an extremely simple build! I wanted to free up a chamber of my sump for a frag section... so I decided to migrate from a standard Refugium to a chaeto reactor! Using an old vertex reactor and some cheap led strip lights I was able to quickly build this awesome chaetomorpha reactor.

I'm actually kind of excited to clean it and see that log go chaeto this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh

One warning i have to give about these DIY chaeto reactors is the fact the strip lines burn out the "quick connect" fittings. I went thru a ton of warranty forums to find a ton of people were having them burn out. I cut the fitting out and did a more permanent wire. Make sure to do this after you have wrapped it. Mine lasted about a week or two before that fitting burnt up.

I also suggest getting the "pink" looking grow lights as they seem to grow the chaeto alot better. Waterproof LED's also key.

Mine took a bout a week before it was packed tight. I actually got sick of removing the chaeto so ive let it jus grow tight. Its become a bit of a detritus trap. However i can see all sorts of life living in there. TONNES of pods as well as a few bristle worms.

I run mine on a reverse schedule to my DT lighting.

Nice video/build

shiftline

Website Affiliate
Thanks Josh. Good tip on the connector. I soldered my own on so it should be good but it. May be worth putting on extra heat shrink or using some electrical tape to strength up the connection

The warm white has had great growth but I'm curious to see if there is a difference bwteween the two Colors (warm white was laying around the house so it won vs ordering red/blue)

Josh

yup cut costs where you can use what you have. I dont think it matters too much with the chaeto looks like yours grows pretty fast and thats all that really matters.

shiftline

Website Affiliate
I'm with you. 2 weeks and it's packed! So no complaints. I'll snap some pics or shoot a video when I empty it in a few days