Best Practice To Clean Dry Rock?

[KRAFTIG]

I acquired some choice pieces of dry rock earlier this week, 90lbs in total. The pieces haven't been in a aquarium in years, but I want to clean. What is the best practice? TIA!

shiftline

Website Affiliate
You could soak them in a bleach / water mix to dissolve anything on there. (BRs had a video on that not to long ago).

You could also use a little elbow grease and just give them a light scrub then soak them in saltwater with a powerhead to start then cycle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[KRAFTIG]

So bleach is better than and acid? Also call me a novice, where do I acquire the bleach. Same stuff we use of clothing?

shamous113

Here is the original thread from reef central on rock reincarnation. I used liquid chlorine from the pool store because its 12% chlorine vs the stuff from the grocrey store at 5-6%. the bleach removes all of the organic material. I also did the acid bath, it strips the outer layer of rock off, the theory is that it removes the layer that is laced with PO4 and other contamination. not sure how true it is but I didn't think their was any harm. Just make sure to rinse the rock really well,soak it in ro water and add prime to remove the chlorine prior to the acid bath. chlorine+acid = mustard gas.