Is This Diatoms Or Aging Rock?

Canadianeh

Since I feed the coral once a week and use reef nutrition liquid type of foods, and feed anemones 2 times per week, it looks like I have another diatom bloom. My tank is 4 months old. I had one bloom 2 months ago and it was all gone.

Is this diatom bloom, or just my rocks aging? I also noticed one tiny bubble algae that I removed yesterday, and strings of hair algae here and there.

Canadianeh

Add a handful of turbo snails to the tank and they will take care of that algae

I read that Turbo snail is notorious on buldozzing. I just added 3 Trochus snails that bring the total to 6 Trochus, plus 1 Emerald crab.

Bill

I am not sure what the official calculation is for grazing snails per tank but I usually buy 20 or so and toss them in, that would be a 125 gal tank. If I see the small blue legged crabs on sale then 10 or 20 of them as well

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i think you are fine with 6 trochus dont get carried away.
The colour on those rocks is normal. nothing to worry about

The only thing i know off that will keep rocks white is a busy urchin :)

Canadianeh

i think you are fine with 6 trochus dont get carried away.
The colour on those rocks is normal. nothing to worry about

The only thing i know off that will keep rocks white is a busy urchin :)
one thing I don't like about urchin is their spike and size (unless they have a mini one let say 1" or less and stay that way). They will move around and buldoz other things that I want them to stay put.

Canadianeh

I am not sure what the official calculation is for grazing snails per tank but I usually buy 20 or so and toss them in, that would be a 125 gal tank. If I see the small blue legged crabs on sale then 10 or 20 of them as well

I was planning to get some red leg hermit crab but I was told they might go after my snails and no guarantee.