Hitchhiker Starfish?

Nick James

I have lots. my yellow wrasse picked at them and keeps them in check

-edit- some Wrasses eat them? I haven't seen many of mine but when I inspect, the asterinas are still in my tank but I never see them on the glass anymore. I need a magic wrasse that eats them, flatworms, and just about every other pest bug to keep them under control going forward ;)

new2reefing

Ya I have quite a few of those as well. There are some interesting posts where people have claimed (and proved with pictures) that the blue Linckia starfish will eat them. The going theory is that the asterina starfish eat biofilm, and that blue stars either eat asterina's to take out the competition, or to harvest undigested biofilm.
I've read there are many varieties of the asterina, some of which harm corals. Until I see them near my coral I leave them alone. I sometimes pull them off if there right there and I feel like it.

Hong

Ya I have quite a few of those as well. There are some interesting posts where people have claimed (and proved with pictures) that the blue Linckia starfish will eat them. The going theory is that the asterina starfish eat biofilm, and that blue stars either eat asterina's to take out the competition, or to harvest undigested biofilm.
I've read there are many varieties of the asterina, some of which harm corals. Until I see them near my coral I leave them alone. I sometimes pull them off if there right there and I feel like it.

Something like this?

e52812bbf53a51e94046058244e4f9a8.jpg

heath

Distinguished Member
this weekend I think that I have taken out well over a hundred.. I have talked with a couple of other reefers and they have tons of them as well, wonder if the time of year plays a role with them multiplying...

ColbytheClown

this weekend I think that I have taken out well over a hundred.. I have talked with a couple of other reefers and they have tons of them as well, wonder if the time of year plays a role with them multiplying...
Wow!!! I have about 20 on my back wall. They are 1 quarter of a milimiter!!!

Painter Steve

Donor
someone should buy a harlequin shrimp and rent it out...
I have a harlequin shrimp that is being passed around to fellow refers to help clean up their tanks from them asterina starfish. He's at his first home now and could maybe make his way towards the London area if someone passing threw the area when the shrimp is ready.

prism127

I have a harlequin shrimp that is being passed around to fellow refers to help clean up their tanks from them asterina starfish. He's at his first home now and could maybe make his way towards the London area if someone passing threw the area when the shrimp is ready.
I drive through kitchener area daily and if I could borrow him for a few Ill drop him off in london when im done

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Ya probably could be a HUGE dinner for it.... Maybe it can be a lazy shrimp and only get the small starfish (asterina's), less work to get a meal :)
Since they only eat the tube feet and associated tissues they will always go for large stars and usually only attack Asterina stars if they have no choice....