Hot Water Heat

hark

My tank is in the basement as well and the pump runs daily, if you have an aquarium controller you could set it to run the pump for 10 seconds a day to keep the water moving in the line without adding any significant amount of heat to your system.
Yup I'd use my apex so this would work as well.

Do you just use the apex to control the temp or do you have a backup fail safe on the heat? Just trying to think of the apex failure scenarios that might occur. Power outage you would lose the recirc pump and the apex so that's covered. What about if the recirc pump fails ?

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I keep an electric heater in the sump set 1 degree lower in case hot water heater or pump fails, i get an alarm if electric heater is on. Also have a statement that if temp < 68 then off which is the fail safe for an open circuit temp probe.

Pipes

If you have a standard water heater, there shouldn't be any bacterial growth in the lines. If you go away on vacation there wouldn't be any worry. Water heaters should be in excess of 120 F. Then when you open the tap, hot water kills any Legionella that may reside. The recirc system preforms the same way. If water sits in the pipe for an extended period, it will re-enter the water heater (on cold water side) and be re-heated above the 120 degrees prior to entering the potable water system. Keeping in mind you do need a check valve, prior to the recirc point of entry, in the hot water system after the shutoff valve.

jack

I keep an electric heater in the sump set 1 degree lower in case hot water heater or pump fails, i get an alarm if electric heater is on. Also have a statement that if temp < 68 then off which is the fail safe for an open circuit temp probe.
Nice work if you had the need would you consider doing another coil down stream of the water heater for cooling the tank?

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Nice work if you had the need would you consider doing another coil down stream of the water heater for cooling the tank?
If I had the need or have the need in the future I will definitely consider a coil type chiller, either with a small fridge/freezer or geothermal.

milanz

Brilliant idea. I noticed that your re-circulation pump uses 84W. What is the flow rate on that pump?

Would it be more efficient to use a pump with a slow flow rate like this one to get the most contact time with the tank water? It has a flow rate of 2.2GPM, which by my rough calculation is about 200ft of 1/2 pex.

Also I wonder whether it would be possible to manifold off the pex into several 1/4 RO tubes, which would likely coil easier and perhaps provide more surface area?

Curious to know your thoughts.

I am very intrigued :)

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
That pump should work fine, mine is valved way back and my coil is to large for my system which is about 200 gals. My pump runs for about 3 min every 30 min. I'm not sure what the flow rate is but it is 3/4" in and out. I don't think ro tubing could take the heat.

Pipes

That pump should work fine, mine is valved way back and my coil is to large for my system which is about 200 gals. My pump runs for about 3 min every 30 min. I'm not sure what the flow rate is but it is 3/4" in and out. I don't think ro tubing could take the heat.
Agreed.RO tubing is designed for cold water only. That pump would blow it all to hell. Too much restriction...Best to stay with 1/2" or 3/4" for heating loops.