Refugium Algae Growth

So I have a refugium in the back of my Biocube with some Red Bush Macro and a small piece of Chaeto. It's been running for a couple of months with the LED alternating with the main tank lights. I am noticing a bit of growth but not much. What is the average growth rate of most Macros?

I'm sure that soon I'll be bitching about all the extra Macro Algae that I have but it seems to be slow going right now. Any thoughts or insights?

Kayce76

I run my fuge light 24/7 and my growth is amazing. I went from a baseball sized piece of chaeto to a basketball size within two weeks. I use an LED bulb, Par 38, 90W 3500k. Its like $50-60 at home depot/Canadian tire.

Nick James

Nathan I had no luck with a fuge in the back of my biocube. The flow wasn't enough to make my cheato roll. It all died, fell apart and got sucked into the display portion.

Let me know if you're does better, and how you did it.

Nathan I had no luck with a fuge in the back of my biocube. The flow wasn't enough to make my cheato roll. It all died, fell apart and got sucked into the display portion.

Let me know if you're does better, and how you did it.

HA ... This isn't Nathan although the Avatar pic is almost the same. LOL My name is Dave. I have the Biocube HQ so there's a little window on the back to which I attached a small LED light that I had. The algae doesn't really move much in the back like you stated. The larger portion of algae is Red Bush but my buddy gave me a small piece of Chaeto as well. I may try running the LEDs 24/7 as suggested though.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
HA ... This isn't Nathan although the Avatar pic is almost the same. LOL My name is Dave. I have the Biocube HQ so there's a little window on the back to which I attached a small LED light that I had. The algae doesn't really move much in the back like you stated. The larger portion of algae is Red Bush but my buddy gave me a small piece of Chaeto as well. I may try running the LEDs 24/7 as suggested though.
Haha

Boga

So I have a refugium in the back of my Biocube with some Red Bush Macro and a small piece of Chaeto. It's been running for a couple of months with the LED alternating with the main tank lights. I am noticing a bit of growth but not much. What is the average growth rate of most Macros?

I'm sure that soon I'll be bitching about all the extra Macro Algae that I have but it seems to be slow going right now. Any thoughts or insights?

Although many light would work, for chaeto I found that a mix of Royal Blue, Deep Red and UV LED's would do the best. Good water flow is better.