Babies....

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I understand your point Torx, But a free cat vs. $3000 in furniture... My next one will be declawed for sure! We have 3 living room sets and all 3 are trash due to scratching. Not to mention the previous 2 set over the years....
Ouch. None of ours have ever scratched furniture. Only their tree or posts.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

heath

Distinguished Member
I understand your point Torx, But a free cat vs. $3000 in furniture... My next one will be declawed for sure! We have 3 living room sets and all 3 are trash due to scratching. Not to mention the previous 2 set over the years....

my cats never go outside after they are done except to go to the vet... I agree, I've lost furniture (a lot) to being clawed up...recovery time is the same as being spayed...

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
No declawing of cats or docking of dogs tails. None of my wife's cats are declawed. To me It is inhumane and several places are pushing for it to be illegal. You aren't removing a nail, it would be like cutting off your fingertips at the knuckle just so you stop scratching

+1
My cat is going on 10yrs old. Not declawed, and I've never had any furniture damaged by her

Sony Xperia Z3

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I have strategic posts and scratch pads around the house sprayed with catnip to make them more appealing to my cats and they still claw the furniture every now and then. Thankfully not a lot and it is mostly kneading the couch instead of scratching. I think some cats are more prone to do it than others. These ones also like to knead us and get their claws caught in our clothing. We trim their nails regularly and this helps. Now that my closeup vision is failing my daughter has taken over the job of trimming their nails. Not sure what I'm going to do when she leaves for University next year...
Even with the bit of clawing they do I still agree with Mark. It is inhumane to amputate the first joint of every toe.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Bear in mind that if I wanted you to not have finger nails, there are a couple of ways to accomplish that...

I could just chop the ends off your fingers...(quick, easy, cheap)

...or I could excise the nail bed tissues from the surface of the bone...(requires skill, time, therefore more expensive)

Both procedures are available to cat owners...vets that have the skill to do the latter will usually refuse to do the cheap hack job....some may offer both, some lack the skills and training to do it properly...some owners choices are motivated only by price....

Pipes

Ouch. None of ours have ever scratched furniture. Only their tree or posts.

Lucky. None of our "soft" furniture is untouched. We have tried the scratch spray, squirt guns, pining astroturf. Even the carpet in the house has spots. In a 7 year old house. In addition to the furniture, and if we sell, we'll have to replace the living room, rec room, and 1 bed room carpet due to 3 stupid cats... Next house, No claws allowed...

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I th
Lucky. None of our "soft" furniture is untouched. We have tried the scratch spray, squirt guns, pining astroturf. Even the carpet in the house has spots. In a 7 year old house. In addition to the furniture, and if we sell, we'll have to replace the living room, rec room, and 1 bed room carpet due to 3 stupid cats... Next house, No claws allowed...
I think the key word there was " stupid cats. ;););)

heath

Distinguished Member
Both procedures are available to cat owners...vets that have the skill to do the latter will usually refuse to do the cheap hack job....some may offer both, some lack the skills and training to do it properly...some owners choices are motivated only by price....

totally agree, but, I trust my vets with my fur kids lives..I have seen some butcher jobs...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So sorry, I didn't mean to derail this thread. You did a great job with those babies and should be proud to raise them. We have 11...12.?. in our house right now... I think...3 are ours...I think...so hard to keep track sometimes. At least the ones that aren't ours are almost ready to be adopted out through rescue.

Pipes

So sorry, I didn't mean to derail this thread. You did a great job with those babies and should be proud to raise them. We have 11...12.?. in our house right now... I think...3 are ours...I think...so hard to keep track sometimes. At least the ones that aren't ours are almost ready to be adopted out through rescue.

It is a good thing there are people like you too. Small and furry should never be abused!

heath

Distinguished Member
no worries Mark..but Christ I don't think I could handle that much kitty litter..lol...thank you, the only thing is that if they get a name they tend to stay.. so far momma cat is Roxie, the little grey girl is smudge, trying to come up with a name for the black and white one..the calico is named Mia and she is going to one of the little girls that I help with, she has autism, very gentle soul and she now calls me everyday asking how she is doing...
I just wish that I could get my hands on the SOB that dumped her...
and I hope that they don't have a daughter that comes home pregnant...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes, we go through a lot of litter. We don't even use clumping, just dump it every day, sometimes twice for our fosters. All of them get names. We get a lot of feral kittens that she works with so that they can be adopted where otherwise be put down.

heath

Distinguished Member
We get a lot of feral kittens that she works with so that they can be adopted where otherwise be put down.

that is so awesome, wish there was a way to educate people...it would be a great world if there were no animals in need and all of the rescues had to close their doors...

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
That would be nice if people would learn. So frustrating to see how people discard there animals like garbage.

heath

Distinguished Member
it is so, we are a throw away society...which is really sad...:(

they all have names now;

momma cat.... Roxie
Grey/white......Raine
calico..............Mia
black/white......Pippa

and they are growing like weeds...