Is A Controller Worth It

scottbennett86

This is my first saltwater tank. I plan on getting my feet wet with a 40g fowlr tank. I have it up and cycling with a mix of live and dry rock. I have a 20 gallon sump and 20 gallon Refugium. The plan is to in about a year move to my 120 gallon and go full out reef. I am trying to decide if a controller such as a reef keeper lite would be worth it.

My system is as follows

2 Mars aqua 300w led lights(on the advice of a friend)

4 bulbs of t5 ho light with moonlights

My Refugium light

In total it takes 4 outlets on timers to ramp up lighting the way I would like. That sounds like $80 or more and a pain to set up and keep in sync.

The next thing is I have had heaters stick on and cook tanks. Some times no casualties other times not so lucky and from what I understand saltwater is less forgiving of heat events. So a temperature controller is definitely something I want. Both to protect against a heater sticking on and possibly run a fan. That sounds like another $60.

Next some claim to work as a wave maker controller. Does this work well? If so that would be an asset. Though truth be told my sunsun powerheads seam sub par, as well as they work in my freshwater they are optional there and would like better quality in my saltwater. I think I will by some with a a wave maker included.

A reef keeper lite with 8 outlets seams like I would only be spending an extra 200 for a much better setup(not sure what I would do with the pH probe) but having never used a controller I am curious if people think one of these is worth it? Is there another option for a controller that would suit me better? I already regret some of the areas where I cheaped out and I don't even have a fish yet.

Thanks for reading my long post. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I couldn't keep my system alive without an apex. Making sure I am notified of problems with the tank to my phone, the ability to set up ato's, controlling dosing while monitoring PH, ORP and TEMP...on and on.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I would never set up another tank without a controller. I prefer the Apex. I have it running in my fish room with a Aquabus cable running under my house to my DT and adding another to my next project so that all 3 set ups will be on the same Apex with individual controls. It does everything for me with next to 0 worries. I drive truck for a living, so at any time I could be 5 hours away from home. If something went wrong, there is no way I could know about it, let alone fix it in time. You can have them do as little or as much as you like. The only limit is the time you put into programming it and the funds for modules. If you have the cash, then 100% get a controller, it has saved my reef a few times already. To me, they are as important in setting up a tank as the tank itself is.

scottbennett86

Totally get the travel thing 16 hour days at work are not unheard of for me.

What advantages draw you to the apex over the reef keeper?

zoomster

I went a long time without a controller figuring it wasn't worth the expense.
But having to travel so much for work I eventually got one. Don't think I will ever run without one again - worth every penny.
The Apex is loaded and of great quality but really pricey as well.
I have the reefkeeper elite and I have no complaints with it. It also has tons of features and does everything most of us would ever need from a controller so, I think it mostly comes down to;
1 - what exactly do you need it to do?
2 - how much do you want to spend.

Hope this helps and hope all goes well for you as you grow in this amazing hobby!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Could not keep a tank without an apex.

I went the "spend a fortune on corals" route, only to have a sump filled with very expensive rubble.

Apex won't grow your coral, but it will help you when you're neglectful or something goes wrong. The email notifications alone are worth the price of the product.

Now I spend nothing on corals, and just let the ones I have grow (and trade for new ones!) :)

new2reefing

Am i missing something. He did say fowlr didnt he. why use a controller for fowlr. All you need is ph, and salinity dont you. Also holy lights batman. I plan to get 1 marsaqua 300 for my 65. You could have done with much less light for fowlr...no? They would work for the 120 down the road.
Again im new so sorry if any comments are incorect

zoomster

A controller is used for so much more than nutrient monitoring @new2reefing.
Even on a FOWLR tank a controller is great for automation of the light cycle, shutting down the pumps and skimmer at feeding time, heater / cooling fan control ect, ect, ect.
Not to mention mobile notifications if something goes wrong that could save a lot of heartache, livestock and sysem loss and of course - financial loss.

scottbennett86

Am i missing something. He did say fowlr didnt he. why use a controller for fowlr. All you need is ph, and salinity dont you. Also holy lights batman. I plan to get 1 marsaqua 300 for my 65. You could have done with much less light for fowlr...no? They would work for the 120 down the road.
Again im new so sorry if any comments are incorect
It is a 40 long so it is 48" and I am not running the t5 on it right now.. They are lighting up my cichlids right now in the 120. And I may never use them, it is a tall tank though so they are going into storage just in case I do. Though I have my doubts that I will.

Edit.... The spread on the leds seams a little narrow. Barely enough on the 40 gallon. On the 120 that has 6 more inches front to back I may change my mind.

Last edited:

scottbennett86

I think it is the livestock protection that really sold me. The little things are nice and handy but it is the idea of a tank crash from something as simple as a heater sticking on that has me getting one. Reef, fish only or even fresh water. Every tank can benefit from a backup to prevent overheating.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I think it is the livestock protection that really sold me. The little things are nice and handy but it is the idea of a tank crash from something as simple as a heater sticking on that has me getting one. Reef, fish only or even fresh water. Every tank can benefit from a backup to prevent overheating.

Whether you opt for a full controller or a temperature controller or multiple under sized heaters (for redundancy) IMO valuable livestock should NEVER be entrusted to the built-in thermostat in any brand of heater. They ultimately have only one guarantee...that they will eventually stick on....

At this point I have not gone the full controller route...still too old school perhaps...but all major systems are controlled by industrial grade control units...since I have access to and familiarity with them...

Kman

Super Active Member
This is a loaded question. Yes controllers are good to have and do give you functionality and somewhat peace of mind you normally would not have. But they are a want not a need. In fact if you are new to this hobby you should not use one as you need to learn how your systems runs and what your system uses up and needs without one before getting a controller. The best way to accomplish this is to manually do it with what i like to call sweat equity. Those that started off manually are better reefers in the end as they rely on themselves and not technology to run their system and because of this are often more in tune with their tank needs. I have seen people that have been in this hobby for over 5 years and if their high tech gadgets died they would have no clue how to manually do something. That is not a good position to be in.

I do love my Apex and I am glad I got one. But I did things manually for over 20 years so if my tech dies I am more then comfortable doing things manually. I am glad I didn't go the tech route for so long as I am a way better reefer for it. As people that do it manually are more likely to be in tune with their tank then someone who automates the system. It gives you an advantage over people that only have ever relied on tech as you quickly learn cause and effect from the actions you took. You don't get that feed back from tech as it does things when you are not around so you can't see cause and effect most of the time. Controllers do give people some security with email alerts and such. But in the end if something is going to fail it is going to fail regardless if you have a controller or not. So I would say to some extent they give you a false sense of security somewhat as people feel more safe with one when it doesn't necessarily mean you are. Some people do benefit from it like if they are away a lot and need to automate things. So in this sense it is a positive thing. But with that being said it does lead to reefers not looking at their tanks as often as they should because it is being taken care of. So people don't see up and coming issues when they first show up. So typically when the problem is noticed it is often worse then it would have been were you doing it manually. You would have see the issue when it first started showing.

Controllers and other tech do have their time and place but not for every situation. My advice read and learn as much as possible with this hobby and don't be in such of a rush to jump on the tech band wagon. Learn to build a stable prosperous reef by doing and researching not by tech. In the end it is cheaper not to rely on tech and you can put that money towards other things. Don't get me wrong I love my tech, but I have paid my dues in sweat equity. Doing it manually gives you experience and that experience allows you to put things into prospective. Experience and knowledge base is what makes a good reefer not technology. I am old school this way.

Pipes

Not having a controller, I think the best controller is in your head. As in your senses. I think this was referred to as sweat equity above.

Listen to your pumps and drains, get to know the sound of your system.

Smell your tank. If the smell changes you will know there is a problem before you pick up the test kit.

See the water and contents. As in the movement, clarity, livestock.

I'm not saying don't test. Testing will tell you what you cant see, hear, smell. Be involved in your tank. It's almost like a child. Watch it grow and develop. You may have some falls along the way, but pick up and keep going.

On the flip side of "devil's advocacy" A controller can tell you what is happening if you are away from home for extended periods. Like a certain long haul driver I know... Then you could contact your back up to investigate further while you are away, and possibly have them fix a problem before everything goes to hell.