Vpn

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Anyone use a VPN service provider for internet security?
Do you like it, is it slow, what are your experiencs?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I do not trust VPN any more then I trust my current ISP. Sure, it secures your computer's internet connection to guarantee that all of the data you're sending and receiving is encrypted and secured from prying eyes; but when using a VPN, you are giving them access to all your information and trusting that they will not use or sell it. In Canada, there aren't many reasons that out way using regular ISP to me. The only time I would really worry about it is if I was using a public network such as Tim Hortons or WalMart WiFi. But I do not use either of those. I leave my WiFi off in those areas and stick to my cellular network.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I do a lot of shopping online and all my banking and investments, etc. Just feels like it's all hanging out if you know what I mean.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
If you want the more secure connection, then I would only trust paid VPN services. Any of the free ones track, monitor and record everything still. They say it is for advertising, but that is no more secure then doing it without VPN at that point. The only advantage to free VPN is if you are trying to hide what you are doing in the Internet from your ISP or if you are doing illegal things online.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I refuse to put my banking if out there like that. My mother had her visa card info stolen and used in Toronto. .. through an investigation they found her info was taken through her on line banking. We recently bought a new house in the fall and redid our mortgage. The mortgage lady was pushing us to do all our stuff through online banking. After harassing us about it and trying to convince how secure it is I told her about my mother's situation.... the answer I got..... "oh". They tell u its secure but the criminal element will always out smart and up grade too... just my 2 cents...

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
If you want the more secure connection, then I would only trust paid VPN services. Any of the free ones track, monitor and record everything still. They say it is for advertising, but that is no more secure then doing it without VPN at that point. The only advantage to free VPN is if you are trying to hide what you are doing in the Internet from your ISP or if you are doing illegal things online.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
I don't mind paying for it, I'm just worried it will slow my internet down too much.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I refuse to put my banking if out there like that. My mother had her visa card info stolen and used in Toronto. .. through an investigation they found her info was taken through her on line banking. We recently bought a new house in the fall and redid our mortgage. The mortgage lady was pushing us to do all our stuff through online banking. After harassing us about it and trying to convince how secure it is I told her about my mother's situation.... the answer I got..... "oh". They tell u its secure but the criminal element will always out smart and up grade too... just my 2 cents...
I've been doing it all online for years now, can't see going back.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I've been doing it all online for years now, can't see going back.
Yeah bud I get that... lots of people do that's for sure and with no issues. Hit a little close to home for me so I opt out.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I've been online banking and buying stuff online, even money transfers.

It's pretty safe. They encrypt the data, just make sure it's a secure site . You're at risk more going into a service station or restaurant, anywhere some human takes your card.

You see to sell you information online someone has to grab your transaction data at that particular time then un entrypt the data then steal your money. It's too much work for a few thousand dollars.

But hey lots of people have issues with new technology. My cell phone tracks me everywhere and tells me how long it's going to take me to get to work every morning. How the hell does it know I'm going to work?