Rock.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
So ive been cooking my rocks for a longggg time now and have never been able to get it under .30. Weve moved and our new place isnt really that accomadating for space. So i cant really have bin set up with rocks cooking in them here. Am i able to add them to my tank and control the p04 and N03 in a bigger volume of water? What are my other options?(keeping in mind i cant have bins or tanks set up to do so.)

Kman

Super Active Member
You could cook them in the tank assuming it is empty with no livestock and just do a big water change before adding livestock. If the no bin rule doesn't apply to outside, if you have a backyard you could keep the bin outside if you don't have room in the home. Just keep it covered.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Its empty now..but time is important because all my fish or going into a small fragtank. So i dont really want them in there for that long getting stressed out.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
And no they really dont want bins outside woth extension chords running to them, that and itd be a hassle for me to get freshwater to there.
Only other option i assume would be buying all new rock?

Cliff

It will definitely reduce it . The PO4 soaks into the outer layers of the rock and the muratic acid basically melts those layers off; so whatever was stuck in the outer layers of the rock will be removed. But it will still need soaked in vats with some kind of PO4 reducer like lanthium chloride to remove the rest of it. But then you will definitely have to start re-curing your rocks; murattic acid kills all beneficial bacteria and basically start from fresh again

Last edited:

reef keeper

Super Active Member
How many months and how much money do you want to spend on removing PO4.

I used acid on my branch and shelf after a HA outbreak. I nuked it, and now zero problems at all.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
The pool guy convinced me once to pour muriatic acid in my pool to "fix it". Ate the creepy krawly to bits, had issues with plumbing joints, etc. He gave me a pile of alkalinity increaser to add after. Basically just destroyed my pool, so guess I wouldn't think of putting it into my unbelievably sensitive reef system.

Not knocking it, who knows it could work, but for me, I would get hi-cap, swap it out once a month until it's done. I went from .3ppm to 3ppb but yeah, it cost me the price of the GFO.