Sps Tissue Loss

Hong

Hi, I had two casualties, a red dragon frag, and a bottle brush. But two are recovering.. Red planet and green carolinian...trying to keep the tank more stable. Just started using kalkwasser in ato. Thanks for asking.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
Glad you didn't loose to many and the important part for this is you learn from it so you can become a better hobbyist. The red dragon frag to be honest you can loose them for no reason, you could look at them funny and the next day they RTN. lol The kalk in the ATO will go a long way to keep things stable. That is how I dose my kalk. Once your corals get larger you will have to manually supplement on top of that possibly but that is an issue for later.

Large tanks are good because it takes time for changes to take place and you normally have time to react. The smaller the tank the less time you have to respond. Smaller tanks and the attitude of I will do it later or not checking your parameters often can have dire consequences. When you get some experience you can just eye ball it like i do and know the state of your system. Till then test test test!! Once you realize this and do a regular maintenance schedule with visual checks daily you will see issues sooner and respond before it causes a problem. Your tank will always tell you something is wrong or about to go wrong you just need to learn to see it. You as a reefer need to learn through experience the warning signs and how to interpret them. If you set up a regular routine of testing and visual checks you will stop most issues from becoming a problem and help keep your tank stable. Make sure you go slow and make small changes when you need to do corrections, rushing and reef don't mix. Corals can adjust they just need time. When I have low alk my more sensitive SPS will start to loose color slowly and the polyps don't come out as full. That is a good visual queue something is up. I will adjust my ALK over a few days and they will come back to normal. I typically add my ALK when making adjustments when the lights are out like in the AM or PM after they go out. This will cut down on any PH issues, you can even split your doses up and use both AM and PM to cut down on to large a swing. When in doubt do a small water change to help get your ratios into balance before making any changes. That is how I roll.

Keep up the good work.

Hong

Yes. Thank you for taking the time to reply. It means a lot to me. I haven't been reefing for very long, and it's trying and frustrating at times.
The above visual queue is definitely a good one.

For anyone reading this thread, the above advice is invaluable. In reefing, nothing good happens fast, and things can go bad real quick.

Cheers, and happy reefing.