Water Changing Station

Chef G

Looking to build a more clean cut mixing station similar to this

except instead of bulk heads like buddy uses im going to go with uniseals from reef supplies
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/UNISEAL-Flexible-Tank-Adapter-Bulkhead-3-4-Inch.html

Still deciding on a few things such as what kind of pump to move the water.
The mixing station will be in the laundry room and on the opposite side of the wall is where my current tank is.
Asking for some experienced reefers input! :)

Last edited:

Pipes

I never understood the DI in one tank and the salt mixing in another. Why not simplify and just fill 1 tank and mix in the same tank? I would be concerned with the uni-seal idea, but that's just me. I like bulkheads sealed with silicone. And 1 tank takes up less space than 2.

It's great to be able to pump from your station directly to the sump though.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I like these. Uniseals are great for barrels like this as the bulkheads are solid and sometimes to not pick up the curvature of the buckets. I have seen people with this set up and it is great if you have the room for it.

Here is mine as I have a little more room constraints.

Each side is 15 gallons and is plumbed directly into my system. There is a T off my return line that feeds a manifold. At the back, each side has an over flow that meets at a T and goes into my sump. At the front bottom, there are bulkheads and valves I use to drain either side. Basically, fill one side with NSW. Turn off the old side feed, turn on the new side feed and the new water is now tied into the system. Then I drain the old side and fill with RO/DI (I have a float on each so that I do nto have to move buckets of RO/DI) and salt, mix and it is ready to go for the next water change. (right now into buckets and move to the sink across the room, but it will tie directly into a drain at some point). Here is a top down diagram as the photo I am about to upload is a mess with everything going on in there while I am changing that room around.

waterchange.jpg

Nighthawk26

I never understood the DI in one tank and the salt mixing in another. Why not simplify and just fill 1 tank and mix in the same tank? I would be concerned with the uni-seal idea, but that's just me. I like bulkheads sealed with silicone. And 1 tank takes up less space than 2.

It's great to be able to pump from your station directly to the sump though.

If you have a larger system, you would appreciate it. You have a second container ready with RODI water. You can do a large water change with pre mixed, then fill that container back up right away, mix salt and you are good to go rather than waiting for your RODI unit to take forever to refill it. Also, you can use it to draw ATO water from without having to constantly fill a smaller ATO container.

Pipes

If you have a larger system, you would appreciate it. You have a second container ready with RODI water. You can do a large water change with pre mixed, then fill that container back up right away, mix salt and you are good to go rather than waiting for your RODI unit to take forever to refill it. Also, you can use it to draw ATO water from without having to constantly fill a smaller ATO container.
I was just thinking in terms of storage. An average RO produces 75 - 100 GPD. Most Brute garbage cans are 35 - 50 gal. This gives you the ability to change up to 50 gallons of water. Why would you need a second 50 gallons right away? Even with a 200 gallon DT, you would normally only change 10 - 20% which would be up to 40 gallons. Then top it up and mix a new batch. You would still have enough for 25% volume on a 200 gallon tank. In this case it would be 50% on a 100 gal tank. Larger tanks would probably put you into a poly tank for volume, in which case you could get as big of a tank as you had floor space, and load capacity. A 200 gallon poly tank only takes up about 3 square feet and is 9' tall. I understand how the 2 tank system works, I'm just not sure why one would need the second tank. It's not like RO/DI needs to "breath" before mixing.

Nighthawk26

I was just thinking in terms of storage. An average RO produces 75 - 100 GPD. Most Brute garbage cans are 35 - 50 gal. This gives you the ability to change up to 50 gallons of water. Why would you need a second 50 gallons right away? Even with a 200 gallon DT, you would normally only change 10 - 20% which would be up to 40 gallons. Then top it up and mix a new batch. You would still have enough for 25% volume on a 200 gallon tank. In this case it would be 50% on a 100 gal tank. Larger tanks would probably put you into a poly tank for volume, in which case you could get as big of a tank as you had floor space, and load capacity. A 200 gallon poly tank only takes up about 3 square feet and is 9' tall. I understand how the 2 tank system works, I'm just not sure why one would need the second tank. It's not like RO/DI needs to "breath" before mixing.

I have about 330 total system gallons. I do auto water changes of about 4G a day, and above and beyond that, there have been many times I wanted to do to a LARGE change, and believe me, wish I had a larger capacity. To you point, I have a 55" Poly tank, and no room for more than The size I have which is about 18" wide and 53" tall or so. There have been times, I have a need to do a larger change but I am half through the fill from the daily water changes so I don't have the full 55G either. For me, with the lack of space, I mounted 16G poly tank above that NSW tank that holds my DI water and feeds for ATO. I just have a straight pipe down with a shut off valve and a RODI line with a slitter running to each tank. Even still, once again as an example. I have half NSW and half RODI. I use the last 30G of NSW, and only have 5G of RODI to fill into the tank. Now I gotta wait. I have a 150GPD with a booster pump on it, and I still get annoyed. I only have so much time to allocate so when I get knee deep, I really just want to finish it, not have to come back hours later. You were looking for reasons why people would want them. I am just giving you some examples.

Chef G

Thanks for everyone's input guys I appreciate it! Think im sticking with the 2 bin idea. I like knowing I have the extra RO ready to go for emergencies/ just in case scenarios lol

Torx like your system man But dont think I could do that off the pump I have now? its a Jebao / Jecod DCS 7000 Silent Pump (1320 to 1850 GPH)

heath

Distinguished Member
I have 2 tanks/containers for water changes, 1- IO, 2- reef crystals (45g)...I have a 75gpd ro unit (no di) and it takes a couple of days to fill.. I use the cheap maxjets to circulate the water after the salt is added.. I now have it down pat, I can do a water change in about 1.5 hrs from start to finish...