New 125

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I haven't built a thing yet, still waiting on glass, may settle on non tempered. Shooter is helping me with lumber so will be starting soon, and then I'll be looking for a sump :)

Colours in the main tank have really started to come back. Of course 2 banks of lights have conked out this week, have to check bulbs and then swap a driver if needed.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay, supposedly overflow is done and tested, I just have to put it all together. I have my dimensions so I'm going to have to start building the stand this week (along with a ton of outdoor projects on the go).
Teebone, do you really think 2x4's on the top would be sturdy enough long term? I guess the tank would rely on the 4 corner posts for most of the strength, but there's still a lot of weight being held up there.

shamous113

go with the 2X6, 2x4 are good for a 3-4 foot span 2x6 are good for 6' and 2x8 I'd go max 8'. if you start adding mid supports then you can reduce the height of the main supporting member, that said the couple of bucks extra that it will cost you is worth the peace of mind.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I've got 72"x18" so Probably I should stick with the 2x6's and maybe just make the tank higher (which does of course add to head height). I don't like being cramped in when working in the sump, so would like lots of work room. Still, the crazy amount of weight involved (and wavemaker as well), I want it to be overbuilt...

heath

Distinguished Member
talk to Jeff (jeffopentax) (sp).. he built my cabinet and my tank is the same size as yours.. the height of my stand is 40", love it, easy to get into for maintance and it gives more options for a larger skimmer, mine is a huge reef octopus. I will never have a stand any lower..

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Heh, yeah I like the look of that. I want to mount the tank to wall studs, and it's going to go in a main hallway now, so I want it to look much nicer than the quick plywood stand I did 12 years ago :)

Status
Not open for further replies.