Tank Bracing

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Would this be suitable for the job? I can't see myself ever needing a buffer/polisher after this project, so doesn't need to last forever.
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-in-orbital-polisher/A-p8336885e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buffers like that are barely able to apply wax competently let alone do any paint correction which is much easier than glass polishing...too large, not enough power.

I use a Meguiars G110 dual action polisher for my acrylic work. 5x the power (or more) turning a 5" polishing pad...not just a slip on bonnet.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Buffers like that are barely able to apply wax competently let alone do any paint correction which is much easier than glass polishing...too large, not enough power.

I use a Meguiars G110 dual action polisher for my acrylic work. 5x the power (or more) turning a 5" polishing pad...not just a slip on bonnet.
I need a jebao version! $200 is a bit steep for something i won't have another use for. Looking for something around $100.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Perhaps this is the middle ground
PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002654I46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hsnoxbQDQ4M8H

The 7424 is an industry standard excellent tool although the included pad sucks...run around $225 at Crappy Tire...so that's a great deal although I think that was US dollars???

Another option would be the Meguiars DA power system attaches to your corded drill and gives a genuine forced DA action like a Flex 3401 polisher with a quality pad for around 60 bucks.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
The 7424 is an industry standard excellent tool although the included pad sucks...run around $225 at Crappy Tire...so that's a great deal although I think that was US dollars???

Another option would be the Meguiars DA power system attaches to your corded drill and gives a genuine forced DA action like a Flex 3401 polisher with a quality pad for around 60 bucks.

You are correct! Canadian price is $180. Damn amazon app changing country setting on me :(

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Thinking ahead while i wait for my glass to arrive. This will likely be a fowlr tank. Looking for suggestions on a "centrepiece fish" that won't eat other fish. Will have 270g to work with. Go!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Anyone know roughly what it costs to get glass trimmed/cut? Depending on the condition of the edges (remaining silicone, chips), i was thinking maybe i'll just get an inch trimmed off each edge to give me clean edges to work with. Do i need to be rich to make it worth it?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I emailed brantford glass with dimensions of glass asking how much it would cost get an inch trimmed off each piece. They said they can't cut 3/4" glass. Does that sound surprising?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
False advertising
d40478e7215943e0555400a93a37452e.jpg

Pipes

Odd that a glass place can't cut glass. You would think they would have a hard time staying in business.
Well you cant say that a place that does window and door glass would, or should, be carrying equipment for the one aquarium in twenty years. The two industries may be related, but not that close. Even if they could cut 3/4", can we expect them to carry the liability for breaking it?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Well you cant say that a place that does window and door glass would, or should, be carrying equipment for the one aquarium in twenty years. The two industries may be related, but not that close. Even if they could cut 3/4", can we expect them to carry the liability for breaking it?
They had no problem quoting me $50/hour to polish out the scratches for me. Judging from this page they should be more than capable to do what I wanted done.
http://www.brantfordglass.ca/ProductsServices.aspx

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I work with Windows and doors for a loving and im sorry to say no one who dose this like where I work or this place you are talking about wouldn't have the tools 99% of our companies buy everything pre done and ready to go for eg i work at dans windows and doors in kitchener and I've seen withmy own eyes where our glass is cut and how , and a place called vinyl built and its a Window company who has big robotic machinery to cut to any size straight, round, you name it .

So I understsabd why they probably said they can't do it if they only do windows and doors might need to find someone with a small buisness that dose that work , hope this helps

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I work with Windows and doors for a loving and im sorry to say no one who dose this like where I work or this place you are talking about wouldn't have the tools 99% of our companies buy everything pre done and ready to go for eg i work at dans windows and doors in kitchener and I've seen withmy own eyes where our glass is cut and how , and a place called vinyl built and its a Window company who has big robotic machinery to cut to any size straight, round, you name it .

So I understsabd why they probably said they can't do it if they only do windows and doors might need to find someone with a small buisness that dose that work , hope this helps
According to their website, they do everything, not just windows and doors. I just found it odd that cutting glass is apparently beyond their customizing capabilities :)

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I don't know the glass business but fabricating with most materials there is a limit to the thickness you can handle without needing different tooling. For example I used to fabricate in acrylic, mostly 1"-11/2" thick but now 3/4" is about the limit of the tooling I have available anything thicker would have to be sent out...

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Why not flip it so the tank is 24 tall and 36 wide? Be a hell of a lot easier to build.

Ever think of renting a professional polisher? Maybe getting a pro to do it might just be worth the money.

You can order glass from Derek at miracles. He can cut it for you as well.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Why not flip it so the tank is 24 tall and 36 wide? Be a hell of a lot easier to build.

Ever think of renting a professional polisher? Maybe getting a pro to do it might just be worth the money.

You can order glass from Derek at miracles. He can cut it for you as well.
Flipping the tank isn't a terrible idea, though I'm not sure if I'll have enough room for that. I think i'll probably go with the porter cable polisher. At least if I buy one I can work on it without any time restraints. Is miracles in toronto?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Turns out the glass is only 5/8". Anyone ever cut glass that thick before? They make it look easy on youtube, but don't think it'd be so easy on a 6ft span.

Alberych

I have a hard enough time cutting 3/8"s... Is there anyway you can take it to do the cuts for you? They can polish the edges for you too.