Sponge Propagation

Nick James

I was looking to find info on propogating the smaller encrusting sponges you find as hitchhikers on love rock. I want to share it with someone as it would be beneficial for him to have in his tank.

Here are some photos of the various sponges I have growing. The cryptic dark purple and brown looking sponges that hide underneath are not included but they are plentiful in my rock.

Can any of these sponges be easily propagated?

zoomster

I have tons of the yellow and translucent sponges as well and 1 really cool gloss black one!
I am not sure about propagating them but I do know that if you take them out of the water they will die within minutes!
If you want to share, perhaps the best way may be to part with a whole but small rock that has some? bagging it without taking it out of the water of course.

Nick James

I am curious if you chip a piece off while under water if it would grow in another location or if you could stick it somewhere else. Or would this kill the sponge. My rocks are all pretty big (for my Biocube) and I don't want to take any of my main pieces out.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
It has in the past, still waiting for this one but it looks like it has. Fresh move just after smash when I swapped sumps out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Hard to tell from the pic but that grey one looks like bad news to me. Possibly an invasive type that will overgrow corals. Not that hard to deal with but keep an eye on it especially if you have Z&P that it can grow into.

Nick James

Hard to tell from the pic but that grey one looks like bad news to me. Possibly an invasive type that will overgrow corals. Not that hard to deal with but keep an eye on it especially if you have Z&P that it can grow into.

Do you mean the second to last pic? I have seen pics of it that made me think it could be as well.