New Reefer

dan

Great advice about being excited but when ur new to the scene and see these beautiful tanks it's hard not to jump in head first. Its also hard to plan a tank when the examples you see are in the Lfs or online maybe I can some ideas from members? Lps softies seem to be easier to grow than sps, which is why I thought I should start there.
I'm located in Kitchener, if any members are willing and are within an hour id love to check out some successful setups and pick your brain about how and why equipment was chosen.
I felt like I knew a fair bit after researching so long but it turns out I was riding a nugget in an ocean of information.

Nighthawk26

There are tons of people with lots of knowledge. Many in the KW area. I've visited a few like you've mentioned because seeing in person really helps put together things you have read online. At least you are coming from some sort of aquarium. I started from SCRATCH. People were asking me about bulkheads, drain types, reactors, ATO's, etc,etc and it's so hard till you get into it. The trick is don't get in too deep then wish you did it different. You're welcome to stop by my place any time. I'm right behind RIM park. Rather flexible schedule.

Skim

Boy Dan, I don't know what to say. There is a great line or lyrick from a song that Iron Maiden did, " Run to the hills, run for your life ". Kidding but I posted this before and pass it on to you now.
Hi Dan, welcome aboard the Magical Mystery Tour where things can south fast and things thought to be dead spring back to life. Where small things can make you smile and laugh and big things well can make you cry. Where deals seem to come at the worst of times and where time, money and size seem to take on a whole new Dimension. Where 1 hour in our time is 2 hours in Reef Land and $100.00 is $200.00 and 25 gal. some how becomes 250 gal.
So welcome again Dan, to the site where when things go well there are people here that will high five you and when things go bad they will pat you on the back and convince you next time will be the right time
Good Luck on your adventure and remember no question is stupid except for the one not asked!

Skim

P.S NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER TELL THE WIFE OR GIRLFRIEND WHAT STUFF COST YOU AND NEVER LEAVE ANY RECITES LYING AROUND it will save you from counselling.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Nice to see another TMMC member here. And like many have said don't be shy about asking, come check out a few systems locally and see what might work for you and always remember reefing takes time to develop.

"Nothing that's good happens fast, and nothing that happens fast is good."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

heath

Distinguished Member
I have a 125g fowlr and a 75g mixed, if you are ever this way you are more than welcome to stop by and see my tanks, I use the KISS theory, Keep It Simple Stupid and it has worked very well for me, not a lot of fancy equipment here but, very healthy tanks...

dan

I went to see nighthawks setup and was blown away. Made me rethink almost everything I thought I was going to do. I highly suggest any newbies to take the time and check out some setups that the members are cool enough to show off.
Heath I'd love to check out your setup. Really enjoy seeing how different the methods are. Pm me maybe we can set something up.
I think I'm gonna go with a lot of diy in my setup. When I go bigger I'll hopefully have a better idea of what equipment and how to apply $ to the right places.

Skim- the wife wants to spend more then me lol.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Welcome Dan ! you've come to the right place for as much help as you can handle ! good that you're getting to see some anks before you get started, you should try and get over to see Eric TMah. He's in Kitchener !

heath

Distinguished Member
Heath I'd love to check out your setup. Really enjoy seeing how different the methods are. Pm me maybe we can set something up.

you are more than welcome to come and see my set ups... I will be setting up the sea horse tank this week...I am retired so any time is pretty much good for me...I always enjoyed picking others brains..

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
welcome to tft... we have a few from cambridge like myself and lots more in kitchener and guelph all close by so dont be afraid to ask questions. most members have lots of pics in the members tanks section for a preview.... did you say DIY? im sure we will be chatting soon lmao. lots in the diy section as well