Macro Lense For Canon?

Cliff

I just picked up a used t2i. I want to buy a macro lense for it. What is a decent one? I know these can get crazy so I was looking at spending no more than $300 if I can get one for that. I don't mind used. What do u recommend? And if anyone is in the market to sell one lmk.

Quartapound

I have a T2i as well... I love it. I think you'll have a hard time finding a dedicated macro lens at that price point. I have had some success with the Nifty Fifty and extension tubes... most say the 50 millimeter prime lens is something you should have anyways, and they are very cheap for the quality. might want to talk to David Caplan about it, he has a lot of experience with macro

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
That is a fine price point. Perfect for a used sigma 105mm. I would suggest against the tamron, it is not a true macro lens and does 1:2 magnification instead of 1:1. Your other option for about 400 is the Canon 100mm USM, or sigma 150mm, all great lenses. The disadvantage to the Sigma 105mm is that older versions do not focus internally, so the lens will physically move as it focuses, making tripod work more difficult. It is still one of my favorite lenses, not only does it take incredible tank shots, but it is a portrait all-star.

I switched to Olympus, but still have my sigma 180mm macro for Canon, it's wonderful, especially for getting deep into the tank. They are harder to find and a little more expensive, about $500. Unfortunately I sold the three lenses I recommended already, but they are fairly common.

I have tons of pictures that I took with my T2i and those four lenses, it is a wonderful starting camera.

Last edited: