Cooking Rock.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
So as some of you may know im currently cooking all the rock from.my tank to get rid of this bryopsis issue. Ive seen a few different methods online but want some peoples advice that have actually done it succesfully. How often should the water be changed? Do i need to be pulling each rock out and scrubbing it and rinsing between each waterchange? What else? Anything thatll help speed up leaching everything out of the rocks? Thanks

Riley

Sewerat

Super Active Member
A skimmer in your rock barrel will help speed thing up. Test for elevated levels of nitrates and phosphates and change water accordingly power head and heater are kinda all you need but skimmer will help even an elcheapo

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Lol i agree, but literally i couldnt fit much more into that bin without removing so rock. Its filled right to the top basically. It almost overflows when filling it up lol

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Riley

When I cooked mine for my tank, I stuck it all in a 100 gallon stock tank. I used a product which I can't remember the name of lol to bind the phosphates. It took a couple of months. I ended up using RO water and changed it every 3 or 4 weeks. The product (I will find the name) turns the water a milky white, which is it reacting with the phosphate. Before I dosed it, my PO4 reading was .57. Yes. That is correct.

It only binds what is available in the water, so you need to allow the rocks to begin leaching the PO4 for a couple of days before you use it. Test before, and test after. It's crazy how well it works.

Once the water stops going milky after a couple of applications, you are done.

I never scrubbed the rocks. The HA just falls off. With the RO, you will completely kill EVERYTHING, so you will be starting from a solid place when you restart your tank.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
It's called lanthanum chloride. It's sold as a pool phosphate binder as well. I bought the "pharma grade" stuff that's "reef safe"

The amount of dust that will collect at the bottom of your bin will blow your mind. Make sure you heat the water and run a power head in there. I have a 100 gallon stock tub I can pass along for $100 bucks. It's bad ass