Green Water

jroovers

Super Active Member
I'm having what I think is a phytoplankton bloom in my tank, giving the water a greenish tinge to it. It seems to be pissing off some of my SPS more than anything. Based on what I've read, the easiest fix is to run a UV sterilizer on the tank for a couple of days - anyone have any other recommendations? From what I've read, GFO, water changes, and carbon will have little impact if this is indeed a phytoplankton bloom, which I suspect it is.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Wondering...would a floss-filled canister filter help?

I don't think so, I'm running a filter sock, and suddenly it is plugging up a bit more than usual, so I don't think that will help.

just a guess but peroxide?

That could work. I'm a bit hesitant however on just adding peroxide, as it could have more of a widespread negative effect on everything, including coral...

Bottle it up and sell that sumabitch

Lol, you buying? :)

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
This goes back to your comments on another thread about your system lacking micro fauna...

When I culture phytoplankton I always have to be certain not to contaminate the culture with tank water or else the pods and other micro fauna will bloom and decimate the phyto in no time. Perhaps the answer is to put a cupfull of water from a mature system in and let the wee beasties multiply and eat up your green water problem....

jroovers

Super Active Member
This goes back to your comments on another thread about your system lacking micro fauna...

When I culture phytoplankton I always have to be certain not to contaminate the culture with tank water or else the pods and other micro fauna will bloom and decimate the phyto in no time. Perhaps the answer is to put a cupfull of water from a mature system in and let the wee beasties multiply and eat up your green water problem....

I definitely agree with you. I think I threw things out of whack when I removed my sandbed. I think I underestimated the impact on a system that was still maturing, it seems to have started a cycle of sorts again even though I didn't really have that much of a nutrient spike. Teebone is going to give me some of his rubble for pods, his system is still pretty new, I'll see if I can get some life from a more established system as well.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
now is the time to buy a bottle or two of pods if ever was a time. if sunlight is hitting the tank it will cause it as well. how green is your water? just a tinge or full blown green beams under your lights?