Holy S***(coral Spawning)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well you know your water is good when.... ive had this 500$ efflo frag for about 6 months and has doubled in size and tips but went down today not only is my nem finally starting to bubbletip but i caught my coral spewing his man juice all over the place. i saw this once before with this frag but this time its going crazy :) :) :)

hard to get in focus cause its blowing around and cam sucks but you can make it out in these.... Luke hurry up and get over here you gotta see this and get your frag lol
IMG_20151014_141605.jpg IMG_20151014_141509.jpg IMG_20151014_141332.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
a guy in kitchener i traded hes not on any of the forums tho but posted stuff on kijiji. he had a massive 300 gal tank with three mh above and was jam packed full of sps with a few others.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
you shoulda seen it pretty much every polyp was sucreting this stringy goop lol then it stopped and polyps came back out happy as all hell..... i bet it felt good hahaha

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
i think its because i put on my lunar effect a few months ago plus my reef naturally raises a degree or two in summer to 79-80 then the cooler months down to 77-78 when it happens it only lasts about four hours this was maybe 30 min after lights ramped to 25%. thanks to the ai sol blue controller i can adjust the length my lights take to brighten between settings so it takes 3 hours to ramp from night to day where they stay 10 hrs and ramp back down over 3hrs again. Plus has 15% chance of thunderstorm once a day lmao. Maybe the fact i dont do wc's has something for all we know they release indicator hormones that need to build up we just dont know.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well you know your water is good when.... ive had this 500$ efflo frag for about 6 months and has doubled in size and tips but went down today not only is my nem finally starting to bubbletip but i caught my coral spewing his man juice all over the place. i saw this once before with this frag but this time its going crazy :) :) :)

hard to get in focus cause its blowing around and cam sucks but you can make it out in these.... Luke hurry up and get over here you gotta see this and get your frag lol
View attachment 4938 View attachment 4939 View attachment 4940

@unibob thats the efflo... alot more tips now am due for tank pic updates

Skim

Wow now that's funny I did a Vit C feed with some coral food about 1.5 hrs ago and had to go out when I came back 2 coral frags where doings the same thing. I just thought it was some extension from the polyps to feed but the one was just covered in it and the other had a clump at the base and a few stringers blowing in the current. I never even thought of it.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Wow now that's funny I did a Vit C feed with some coral food about 1.5 hrs ago and had to go out when I came back 2 coral frags where doings the same thing. I just thought it was some extension from the polyps to feed but the one was just covered in it and the other had a clump at the base and a few stringers blowing in the current. I never even thought of it.

sometimes when i target feed it looks similar but is just the coral eating the stuff it caught in its slime coat. this happened for about 4 hours straight. literally every polyp sucked inside out of view and stringy white stuff was being secreted out of every polyp opening... after a few hours all polyps were back and everything normal except the water as a bit cloudy for a bit full of efflo man juice lol

Skim

I must admit I did see some corals in my tank years ago do the spawn with it blowing puffs of sperm out like a steam locomotive but I have never seen any of them do the spewing of eggs. It is neat to see and just think Lee whatever the Miracle Mud guy, his tank spawns almost weekly Paletta says its quite the site. Well you at least know your tank is happy if they are spawning. Well steve must be all that RO/DI water you use. Lol

Skim

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I must admit I did see some corals in my tank years ago do the spawn with it blowing puffs of sperm out like a steam locomotive but I have never seen any of them do the spewing of eggs. It is neat to see and just think Lee whatever the Miracle Mud guy, his tank spawns almost weekly Paletta says its quite the site. Well you at least know your tank is happy if they are spawning. Well steve must be all that RO/DI water you use. Lol

Skim

Ya im glad it dont happen weekly the first time freaked me out till i saw the vido of it happening to a colony... lmfao yep gotta love that magical rodi tap and prime filter ;) lol

Skim

I just remembered a show I had seen where these divers where diving on the Great Barrier Reef in Nov. first full moon I believe and every year at this same time the whole Reef begins to spawn, and one of the divers was taking a shot of the full moon and all its brightness and off the right side you could see this black mass coming and moving to the left. It was all the sperm and eggs in the water and when it moved into the shot the moon was blocked out and the entire pic went black it had blocked all moon light that's how much goop was in the water. The shoots that they got where just mind blowing, one of the best sea life shows that I ever seen.

Skim