Winter Get Away For Two, Location, Resort... I Need Ideas

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Like the title says, going on a honeymoon in February,
Would love to do some snorkeling or some diving (neither of us have any diving experience)
I know theres alot of people on here who venture south, looking for some resort ideas, locations etc etc.
Info, 2 adults,
Budget- $4000.00 Total (airfare, resort etc)

Needs to be: All inclusive, good food, good drinks, near great dive/snorkel locations, Semi-private/adult only is preferred, love a authentic feel, lots of trees and foliage as opposed to down town Cancun

Location: anywhere in the Caribbean is fine, either side of mexico is ok too.

thanks in advance for any ideas and/or links :D

monizb

Super Active Member
We are going to jamica in January we have be to Dominican bouverio princess very nice resort been there 4 times now Cuba is nice as well

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
ever thought about a cruise? I found out they are pretty good. you get to see different places the way you get treat on the ship is top notch and the food is excellent. there is always something going on and when you arrive in a port then you can go exploring. I went snorkeling in st kitts on one of the stops.The best thing about the cruise is if you dont like one spot then you're off to the next stop. if you dont feel like doing anything then you layout on the deck or shoot skeet. I also find a better cass of people then the all inclusive. nothing worse that get a few drunk rambunctious idiots carrying on every night and ruining the resort.

heath

Distinguished Member
We are going to jamica in January we have be to Dominican bouverio princess very nice resort been there 4 times now Cuba is nice as well

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

that is way too funny, my family lives in brydges and they are going to Jamica in January as well..

Nighthawk26

+1 on the cruise. Does not meet your adult only criteria, but the right line and ship you get close. You can easily hit your budget for example on Celebrity Reflection. They have some great deals at the moment actually. I've personally been on this ship. I'm looking for a wedding next year so just looked last night. About $1000CDN right now geets you on one from ft Lauderdale. Hits Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Ochos Rios Jamaica. Those spots all hit what you're looking for. Also you asked for good food. I'm not sure most All inclusives can say that. And lousy cheap liquor. TO that point, usually booze you pay for. There is a promotion right now, thats also all in. Add a cheap flight to Ft. Lauderdale, and some excursions and extra things, and you're right in your budget if not under. They also have a free next category room upgrades as well if you want nice room accommodation. I did my first in 2007, and have done 12 since, and I will never go back to all inclusive again.

Spanky

I haven't been to many resorts (so I'm no authority on the matter). I've only been on one cruise and I'll agree: the food was phenomenal. But what I didn't like about the cruise was the fact that we were stuck on a ship and only let out to wander at a few stops. When you're at a resort you can come and go whenever you like. If you want to go into town one day or to some attraction...you go. If the weather stinks, you don't. And you also can relax and order drinks and not have to worry about how much all those drinks are going to cost you at the end of the week. (Maybe no one else worries about that...)
A couple years ago we went to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya in Mexico. Fantastic resort...mostly because most days (there's always some really windy days when you can't see too much) I could slip on my fins and mask and just cruise. Lots to see: sea turtles, angel fish (saw a huge French Angel), lionfish, all sorts of parrotfish, wrasses, blue tangs, spanish hogfish, damsels, basslets, butterflyfish...and much more that I am forgetting.
And when I wanted to take a break, grab something to eat and a drink I could...and then I could always go back in later if I wanted.
And I didn't have to take a long bus ride to do it and waste a good chunk of my day that way either.
And if you get bored with what you see at the resort and want something different there's always Xel Ha close by. Take a taxi. I haven't been and I think it's a little pricey, but it looks pretty picturesque.
Maybe you're looking for something different...but I know I'd go back to the same spot in a heartbeat.
Have fun sorting through all the options, though.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Look into Belize. My sister went recently, if you're looking for more nature and less prepackaged attraction and great snorkeling (although more off boat than off shore). I think it was the Ambergris area...can get more details...

Easto

A cool place I went was Bahia Principe Cayo Levantadoin Samana Dominican Republic.

It's on it's own island, so you get to and from the resort via a small 5 minute boat ride.

Most of the island is private only for resort guests. A section on one side of the island is public and a couple days per week they get cruise ships dropping people off. You can venture over there for some fresh seafood BBQ, vendors, etc. They have security on the 1 and only path back to the resort that stops anyone from coming onto the resort.

Samana had a lot more European's than American's/Canadian compared to Punta Cana.

There were some kids here, but this is a terrible resort to bring kids. It was mostly adult couples.

The night life was dead here as well, the crowd was a bit older.

There two private beaches from resort guests were awesome. 1 was flat calm water for snorkeling and chilling out. Literally walking 50 feet to the other side you get some nice big waves to jump around in if thats your thing.

The food was really good.

The entertainment staff was really good, but not too many guests get involved. So if you do partake you get lots of attention and free bottles of booze or whatever they are giving away. In addition, there are only a few bartenders. We were good to all of them to the point they would come look for us on the beach to see if we needed anything.

This is a more laid back place, you likely won't be leaving with any crazy stories.

***Just looked and now it appears to be 18+***

If you have any questions about this place shoot me a message. I went in 2009, but I am sure things don't change to much in the caribbean

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
damn you guys are helpful... i miss being a regular on this forum... i will look into all of the places you guys listed, i have done cruises as a child and would do them again if i wasnt into snorkling so much...
last year i was in ixtapa with my family and went snorkling every day off the beach, go in for a few hours, come out have a drink rest, eat, go back in.... was awesome! im stoked to go, i started a new job this past spring and have had zero down/r and r time since... ill keep you all posted with my progress, keep the ideas comming!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Booked maya beach resort in Mexico !
Choices are limited when you want a specific day in February lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
I'm leaving on Dec 24th for Santa Maria cuba, from all the research I've done sounds like it's the best snorkeling in Cuba so I'm super pumped

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I hope you have a great time. 20 some years ago I went to Santiago de Cube up in the mountains where Castro hide out during the unrest and not knowing that the norther area is better. I was unsettled by the armed military machine gun toting guys at the air port and the fact that ladies stood outside washrooms selling pieces of toilet paper. it's probably really changes in 20 some years.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
yea from what ive researched you gotta find a good resort with snorkleing right off the beach, having to take a boat or book a tour just dampers the whole experiance

cyberloach

We went to Hawaii 2years ago and the snorkeling was off the shelf. We went on several day trips one of which was to Molokini Shoal, you basically get dropped off near this crescent moon
island and the fish are every morish idols, wrasses....
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Mo...000000000000:0x5c278a52a9d917a2!6m1!1e1?hl=en

The part I loved about Maui was we could grab our snorkels walk 4 ft into the water anywhere and there would be fish, even right at our hotel.
So we just drove around and tried out different beaches to see if had cool fish.
We went during mating season for the whales so they where everywhere too, over 100 sightings in one week.

Took this pic right off the shore of a hotel
turtle.JPG

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Have fun I am heading to the Grand Palladium in the Mayn Riviera in January. Hoping to see some turtles :)

cyberloach

Stayed at the Grand palladium for our honeymoon it was beautiful. The nature boardwalks were fantastic. The pool with the ocean inlet was cool, fish swam into the pool.
Have fun