I'm Back..

drksthr

So.... I'm back to the sealife. Well looking to get back into the sealife. Want to do it right this time around and have some questions. Looking to go 150 gallons or bigger. I've found a few tanks and want to make sure they're good. Couple tanks im looking at only have one hole drilled in them. Since tank is over 150g should I have at least 2 holes or would 1 be enough? I'd like to have a reef going. Also when it comes to a sump what would be a good size for the sump? (obviously ill get the biggest size I can fit underneath.) and last what equipment in the sump is needed to successfully run a reef? Never had a sump before and I know that's what lead to my failure. Won't cheap out this time. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
So.... I'm back to the sealife. Well looking to get back into the sealife. Want to do it right this time around and have some questions. Looking to go 150 gallons or bigger. I've found a few tanks and want to make sure they're good. Couple tanks im looking at only have one hole drilled in them. Since tank is over 150g should I have at least 2 holes or would 1 be enough? I'd like to have a reef going. Also when it comes to a sump what would be a good size for the sump? (obviously ill get the biggest size I can fit underneath.) and last what equipment in the sump is needed to successfully run a reef? Never had a sump before and I know that's what lead to my failure. Won't cheap out this time. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

Since tank is over 150g should I have at least 2 holes or would 1 be enough?

IF you are referring to the drain, then I would do at least two but three is always nice to have. 1" would be good, but I like 1.5".

Also when it comes to a sump what would be a good size for the sump? (obviously ill get the biggest size I can fit underneath.)

Like you mentioned, as big as you can fit. Sump should be designed on how you plan to do nutrient export (i.e. Refugium vs Cyptic Zone), room for reactors, skimmer size, filter socks...etc..

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Welcome back! Looking forward to your build thread when you start it.
I try to fit all of my equipment into my sump - heater, skimmer, return pump, rock, reactors. I don't use a filter sock all the time but put one on every now and then. I prefer to have lots of rock in the sump. I think one of the biggest deciding factors in the size of the sump is the size of the protein skimmer. Make sure there is enough width in the sump to easily place it and enough head room to remove the collection cup. (unless you go external, then it is a whole new ballgame)
I agree with Bigshow - 2 drain holes is nice but three is better just in case one fails. The more drain holes, the more flow the tank can handle from your return pump.

heath

Distinguished Member
welcome back, I agree with the others. I have 2 drains on both of my tanks..my suggestion on a sump, is go as big as you can and make sure there is enough room to access your equipment..good luck with the build..

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Another good piece of equipment would be an RODI unit. Personally i prefer my tank drilled 4 times, Main drain, trickle, emergency, and drilled return. My main is 1.5" and the rest are 1". I wouldnt neccesarily blame not having a sump as your failure, i ran my 46, and 75g sps dominant tanks sumpless without any real issues. I never had a sump until 6 months ago, and have been reefing for the last 4 or so years. Bigshow covered everything else. Welcome back and Good luck with your new build.

Jewel

Yup bigger is better, At one time I had a 120 GL Sump. I was in the laundry room behind the tank, It was actually a 60 GL Sump and a 60 GL Fuge. Once it's set-up you can always increase or decrease the size of the display.