Anyone Ever Kept Discus?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I have small driftwood here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have any sticks? Kinda like this look...
b154dd78440199830d019ae2829b4fae.jpg

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Discus are nice, I heard they prefer ro water as well :). How about just keep one arrowana, this fish grow over a foot long, very nice and they can interact with people too
Actually, the importer i plan to buy from brings them in from germany. They only use tap water.
http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/en/home/

Last edited:

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Actually, the importer i plan to buy from brings them in from germany. They only use tap water.
http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/en/home/

You need to find out the PH of the importers water.

Discus can do just fine in tap water, but will benefit from softer water like RO. If their water is much softer and lower ph than your own. You need to take the extra time to drip them over slowly.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
You need to find out the PH of the importers water.

Discus can do just fine in tap water, but will benefit from softer water like RO. If their water is much softer and lower ph than your own. You need to take the extra time to drip them over slowly.
The importer said the water they use in germany is quite similar to tap water in southern ontario. The stendker site does list their water params. Of course I didn't save them anywhere, and have to find them again.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
They average about $100 for a 4" (at which point they are considered trouble free with proper husbandry) from stendker . Price increases with size. Near $400 for a 7".

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Discus can be kept at lower temps with no issues. A temp to keep both plants and fish happy can easily be achieved.

Also regarding clean water. Yes they do better with cleaner environment, but will tolerate less than ideal conditions that will not affect their growth, colour and or health. Ideal conditions will be needed if you're trying to breed them though. That's a whole other can of worms
We have discus breeding in our 180 display tank and they are kept at about 82 degrees. All plants are doing fine at this temp as well. Jeff next time you are in London have a look at our planted display tank.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I had a bunch of wild discus in a 125. They need soft water, and are kinda awesome. Why would you pay 100 bucks per discus? I think I paid 40 each

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
So i've got my source for discus. Anyone know of a local angelfish breeder?

There used to be an angel fish breeder in Brantford but I can't remember their name.

Now I know its been done before but Angels and Discus aren't always the best mix to have together. Because the Angels size they may make the discus too shy and they wont come out to eat.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
There used to be an angel fish breeder in Brantford but I can't remember their name.

Now I know its been done before but Angels and Discus aren't always the best mix to have together. Because the Angels size they may make the discus too shy and they wont come out to eat.
Haha that's sort of helpful ;)

From what I've read mixing angels and discus is "try and see". Seems like that's the case with all fish!

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Everything is possible, sometimes things workout. But Discus and Angels are both cichlids and they act like them. They have been one of the most difficult fish I've ever kept.

Good luck.

I would sign up at http://forum.simplydiscus.com/ they have the passion and years of knowledge.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I would go discus and cardinal tetras for your "display fish".

Toss in some nice looking dwarf plecos, if you have a lid, marble fish are always cool. You are correct on the low flow, and Aaron is correct with them being shy sometimes when it comes to eating.

Plants: Tall jungle val, spiral val, Anubis species attached to driftwood, dwarf hair grass.

(Those are some that I can remember) I used to keep a ton of discus. Had 14 tanks going at one point in a 1 bedroom apartment :|

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I would go discus and cardinal tetras for your "display fish".

Toss in some nice looking dwarf plecos, if you have a lid, marble fish are always cool. You are correct on the low flow, and Aaron is correct with them being shy sometimes when it comes to eating.

Plants: Tall jungle val, spiral val, Anubis species attached to driftwood, dwarf hair grass.

(Those are some that I can remember) I used to keep a ton of discus. Had 14 tanks going at one point in a 1 bedroom apartment :|

14 tanks in any size home is insane!

Hard to figure out how much room I'll have left with 9 discus and 2-3 angels. I 'm only going to get angels if I can find a breeder, and that's not looking likely so far. Cardinal tetras, zebra and bristlenose plecos, and some type of cory are all on my list. Thanks for suggesting some plant species. Aquatic plants are entirely new to me, so those give me a starting point.