Advice To Move This Beast!

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I believe mine is the sea floor grade. It's not sand but a slightly coarser grade. I was really surprised at how the flow is in this tank. My returns are in the rear corners and I have double loc lines on each. The flow is a giant swirling mess!! Because of the width, my gyre just pumps the water down the tank and the return flow pushes the gyre flow all over. My gyre is only at 40% or 50%. I'm trying to decide if I need another piece of rock or something to break it up lol.

The MP40s will make it even more random so it should be interesting.

If you are curing rock now, why not just add a piece of the clean live rock to the bin?

I used the Dr Tims stuff and my cycle is almost done in a week. That's with no live rock at all!

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Big fan of the sea floor special grade here too. Fine enough to let burrowers dig but doesn't blow around. Looks nice too.

I will be setting my new basement sump up well in advance of the DT, filling it with rock and new salt water and running a pump from the return to the intake section so that by the time I am ready to plumb in the main tank I will have a sump full of cycled rock and likely a good pod population established already. A little ammonia and seeded rock to start then a couple of fish in the main section to keep the rock fed...

No waiting once the DT is ready to fill....

Skim

You should see if you can rent some of those suction handles that the Glass guys use. Man I wish we had those when I helped move a 180, I had a hole in the palm of my hand after about 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep. The scar last 3 years.

Skim

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Hi.

I'm new to all of this in practice, but I've been researching for almost a year now, and found this forum a few months ago. I had a SW system about 15 years ago but was a random purchase, and like many who've done that, was done all wrong. I'm the type of person where if I'm going to do something I'm going to do it right, so this time around that's what I've attempted to do. That said, after all the planning, and reading, and the apologies to the GF for lack of attention given to her, my stand and tanks finally arrived today. Every detail for the most part was considered until this dawned on me.

Ideas would be fantastic.

Tank is 72x30x24 3 Side Starfire 5/8", 4" Top EB, 1.5" bottom EB and Overflow is Glass, not Acrylic.

Gotta get this thing from where you see it in one pic, to where you see the stand.

View attachment 4017 View attachment 4016 View attachment 4018 View attachment 4019
Is that a lotus Elise? I love those cars. Scary fast

Nighthawk26

I should probably start a different thread. Can't imagine many people will open after the first time seeing it's about moving a tank. At any rate, got a huge chunk of plumbing done today. Frag tank isn't online, but got tap water through half the sump and to the DT tank. System is dead silent.
fb7.jpg