A very fishy basement.... new 90 gallon planted tank

curiousphil

Super Active Member
As I mentioned in the title, we brought a new tank into our house this weekend.  Picked up a 90 gallon setup from a nice couple who is moving.  This is going to be my girlfriend's tank, she has been talking about getting a planted tank for ages now.  Moved it in on Saturday, added the gravel and dirt, and are waiting for the water to clear up before we add the plants in.  Not much to look at yet but pics to come when it's fully setup. 

Right now there is just a bunch of small fish in it, mostly cardinal tetras but also a handful of harlequin rasboras and a couple of danios.  I'm not a big fan of freshwater fish, possibly because they don't seem very exotic to me... I grew up spending a lot of time up in the Miller Lake area fishing the small lakes.  But there is one pink danio in there that looks very cool.  Eventually she wants to add discus which seem like they could be a neat fish.  We have very different ideas about what consitute "pretty fish" though lol.  It should be interesting to see how the tank progresses and what she does with it.  Where it was setup previously, it kind of resembled this:
Luis_Embalo_Aquascaping.jpg

I wish I had taken a picture.  I mean it wasn't anything too impressive but it would just have been neat to take a before pic, as it was, an after pic once fully moved, and then a progression pic a few months from now.  Oh well.  Will have to settle for the progression series of pictures!

Beth says that we are now in a "tank off" lol.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
ive always wanted a tank like big als london has, if i ever came across a good deal i would scoop it up like you have by the looks of it :)

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Thanks sunnykita :) I think I will find great enjoyment out of the tank!  I'm confident that my girlfriend will turn it into a thing of beauty.

Poseidon link said:
ive always wanted a tank like big als london has, if i ever came across a good deal i would scoop it up like you have by the looks of it :)

We were there the other day actually and Beth specifically pointed to that tank and said she wanted hers to look just like it.  Assuming you mean the one across from the bearded lizard.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
this one?

FullTank3_zps8aac2d60.jpg

are plants cheap? i see them at big als but never took much notice to them.. i really like the full grassy planted look.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Duke link said:
this one?

FullTank3_zps8aac2d60.jpg

are plants cheap? i see them at big als but never took much notice to them.. i really like the full grassy planted look.

Yup that's the one :)
Needs a few more fish ;)

blaked

My good friend is propagating plants for freshwater .
He has some hard to find varieties .
All under t5 all Co2 supplemented .
If your looking for something shoot me a pm  .

Currently I'm propagating water lettuce micro size.
Java moss and anchor moss. And drawf grass.

jroovers

Super Active Member
I agree, these planted freshwater tanks look fantastic.  I would consider moving to that from a reef tank.  Are these things fairly low maintenance?  What does the CO2 supplementation entail?  Essentially a tank and a regulator?

blaked

Co2 - a slow feed into main tank  . With no bubblers or stuff like that in tank that remove co2.

It can be done with a simple thumb screw and bubbles counter type regulator . Or and advanced selinoid and monitor.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
looks good,
some of those European and Asian tanks ive seen on youtube for contests etc look absolutely jaw dropping... would love one

Skim

Yes I must admit I do not know what is more beautiful full blown Reef Tank or a Full Blown Planted Tanks. I have just finished getting my equipment to start my 100 Gal full blown Planted Tank. Co2 Lights the whole shebang, just have to get to it. Boy I tell you its not that much cheaper to start a Planted tank to a Reef Tank.

Skim

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Since this thread was bumped I suppose I should mention that we shut this tank down and gave away all of the equipment a few months ago. Doesn't fit in with the new plan for our basement, and Beth wasn't really feeling the tank anyways. The tank kinda went downhill from the day it was setup.

I don't know about cost-wise, but they are definitely close to on par with regards to amount of maintenance required.