Best Macro For Fuge

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Getting closer to getting my sump drilled and installed. Obviously right away I won't have a whole lot going on as the tank cycles, but I will be doing a Refugium in my sump. The sump is a 125 gallon and the fuge will be around 36" long x 18 wide x 16" high. It's around 45 gallons. I'm going to be running filter socks, or at least have that option.

I like the looks of most of the macro, but I will not be doing calerpa, so don't suggest it lol.

What's your favourite type of macro?

Kman

Super Active Member
You should take a look at some of the red seaweeds if you can find them. They accumulate halogen-containing metabolites in their tissue. They release this into the water and it is thought to impede the growth of pathogenic bacteria as well as other algae.

Jewel

I'm a big fan of Cheato like most, It's readily available and will grow fast, Also the Mangroves, You will have a massive Fuge with that space, Your potential for a huge nutrient export area will enhance your system very much, Congrats

Jewel

I wouldn't go half and half, I would build a false baffle, So you could remove it, put some rubble in it, maybe make an Acrylic cover with holes in it so you can stand the Mangroves up straight, Roots in the Rubble. 25% of the Fuge. You could put a lot of them in there and the rest Cheato, have the water coming under a Baffle thru the Mangrove area over the top into the Cheato area. That's what I'd do.

Jewel

Your fuge will be 36 long, The Baffle entering the area is lifted so the water runs under neath into the Fuge area, measure 8 inches approx. put in a Baffle the height of your fuge, You say 16 inches. I said a removable baffle but that's no biggie make it permanent. Fill that area with 12 inches of Rubble, Put a lid on that area with holes in it so the Mangroves sit in there with out there stems touching, So you drill holes 1/2 diameter. Place your Mangroves in there so the roots are in the Rubble. As your Mangroves grow their roots will spread through the Rubble, Your water will flow under the Baffle through the roots over the Next Baffle into the cheato.. You'll have to spray your leaves with Fresh Water couple times a week, It'll be a nice row on row of Mangroves.

Jewel

is that your car jim?

No I wish, I did have one similar years ago, That's a 59 Caddy, 62 Series. Probably the most sought after Caddy of all time, Mine was a 59 but not in that shape, I had one in 1978, I stored it at my Uncles in the winter and I thought the motor cracked in it but all it was was a frost plug blew in it. I sold to a guy and two years later he was killed in it on HWY 27, south of 9 in a head on. That;s what happens when you fall asleep. Be careful driving out there buddy.