Coral Id Please

Deptron

First pic has the polyps half ways extended, the second they a basically fully retracted. What is it, and what is the best tank placement for it? Thanks in advance.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430691188.255578.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430691203.692844.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seggsy

Hmmmm....
First pic looks like green star polyps, but second pic looks more like a fungia. Is it a mat growing on a rock, or is it flesh on a skeleton?

heath

Distinguished Member
I agree, the first picture kinda looks like gsp, but the second pic looks like a type of mushroom, it is a nice looking piece tho, maybe you have discovered a new species, lol..

Deptron

It's definitely not GSP. Those five "spots" in the first pic are mouths of some sort, with little fans coming in and out almost like feather dusters, but they go in and out much more frequently.

Kman

Super Active Member
Those are related to tube worms. The fans that come in and out catch particulate matter for food to be swept into the mouth. They are separate from the coral.

Kman

Super Active Member
It could be a plating Hydnophora. Does it look like the one in the attached picture? Polyp wise. (got this picture off google.)
Are the polyps bunched in groups or individual?

8239168393_47c839dbe9_b.jpg

Deptron

I think you may be correct. I looked that name up and came up with this photo which aside from the more intense lime green color looks a little closer to the one I have.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431027007.482897.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
Check the edges are they hard like coral skeleton or are you able to peel it off like gsp? You can flip the rock over and look from the underside at the edges. Gsp form fibrous stolon mats that are quite rubbery in texture and you should be able to peel some away. They also form polyps that are fully retracted into the stolon. They typically have 8 thin smooth tentacles that form around the polyps center.