Hi From Burlington!

Andrew D

Hi. Was referred to the site by Big Show a few weeks back, finally found the time to log on. Looks like a very active, and friendly site and I'm looking forward to being a part of it. I have a 350G display and a 700G system, mixed but mostly sps, that's been up for about 2 years.

Anyway, here are the obligatory tank shots, the second one taken only yesterday. Hope the tang police are sleeping cause I have 9 of them....

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
sSig_welcome1_zpscd7c20e7.gif
to the Frag Tank. Hope you enjoy your time with us. You have a beautiful system. :)

heath

Distinguished Member
welcome to tft.. the only issue that I see with the tang police is how do you keep that many..lol..all kidding aside, this is a great site with great people and tons of experience, not that you need it with those tanks.. beautiful set up..welcome to the family..

dickybird

Hello I'm also new to the site my name is Richard and only been in this Hobbie about a year I was just wondering how much water needs to be changed in your 350 and 700g tank and how frequently

Andrew D

Thanks everyone for the interest and the compliments, both are much appreciated. Been meaning to respond before now, but couldn't find enough time over a busy spring weekend to respond the way I wanted to.

My system is about 2 years old, first started in March 2013 to replace a 150G that I'd had for about 6 years. Wanted more depth and boy, I'm glad that I upgraded. I have a build thread on www.reefescape.ca. (http://www.reefescape.ca/forums/showthread.php?8153-My-big(ger)-upgrade). Not sure if it's OK to link you there but there's a lot of detail that I won't be able to replicate here.

The display measures 72 by 42 by 28 inches high, for an estimated 366 gallons. It's on a home-made wood stand in my basement, in the wall between my laundry room and the TV room. It was built in my TV room by John at NAFB in Scarborough, great guy but I know that's not everyone's experience with him. I had originally bought a standard 300DD but realized that I couldn't get it into my basement without knocking out a wall so the retailer where I bought it was able to re-sell and I ended up getting an even larger, nicer tank. Sweet deal that was. The tank has a side external overflow along the right side of the tank, with three standpipes that funnel the water through flex tubing into my sump. Sump is about 150G, also custom built by John with three baffles. Love the size, but I didn't plan on having to level the concrete floor as much as I did, so I don't have a lot of headroom for equipment in my sump. A DC pump returns the water to the display. I also have a closed loop, powered by a Reeflo Hammerhead, which also feeds my 90G frag tank on the opposite wall (you see it in the background in the second picture posted above). The frag tank drains back into the display. I also have an acrylic cube of about 30G which houses a peacock mantis, a clarkii clown, and a large anenome in which he hosts. It also has a whole lot of aiptasia's unfortunately, but of course I can't put anything in there to eat them. This tank is fed by a maxijet and drains into the sump. Finally, I have a 56G tall to the left of my display which at different times has been my DBS/Cheato/Xenia refugium, a seahorse tank and now houses some pipefish, shrimp, miscellaneous snails, a few less aggressive corals (gorgonians, zoas, xenia, GSP...) and a very large squamosa clam which was being picked on in my display. This tank is fed by a small in-sump pump and drains into the overflow. Never calculated the water volume exactly, but I figure it's all about 700G's not considering of course the displacement of everything inside.

That's all I have time for now I'm afraid but Ill try to post again tonight. In the meantime, below are a few pictures of what I've described above....

my old system, full of life but frustratingly narrow especially with the closed loop along the top...

the only picture I really have of my sump, which is during the construction and containing some of the LR and corals that were destined for the display...

an old picture of my mantis tank, will get a new one tonight...

a view of the laundry area behind the tank, pardon the electrical mess, since cleaned up (a bit :))

Andrew D

Well, it's been a little longer than I intended again, but time for another update, this time about my equipment.

I've tried everything when it comes to lighting. With my 150G, I had three 250W halides which were nice, but expensive to run and because I have very little head room over the tank (due to furnace duct work) also heated the tank more than I wanted. When I upgraded, I decided to go LED so I bought three units from a local store as a test knowing that eventually I woudl need more. While I liked the colour, I wasn't crazy for their effect on my corals. I know others have had different experiences, but I thought they burned my lps and browned my sps which I was just starting to get into. I probably shoudl have stuck with them longer, but a friend of mine Greg, a local reefer in Burlington who goes by the handle "living reef", showed me some of the tanks he maintains and one of them was a stunning sps penninsula tank with T5 lighting. As my only other choice was to go back to halides, I decided to give T5's a try. I already had 1 3 foot fixture over my frag tank, and over the next few months I picked up 2 4 foot fixtures so I now have a total of 18 bulbs over my display. Currently I have mostly blue pluses with a coral plus and a purple plus in each fixture, but I plan to play around with the combinations a bit more, perhaps adding a few actinics which I've heard neat things about. Although I miss the shimmer of the MH's and LED's and 18 bulbs are expensive to replace every 6-8 months, I love the colour and growth I get with the T5's. They are also lower profile than the halides so I can raise them a little higher off the water. I still have the other lights, in case something breaks or I change my mind (again).

For flow, in addition to my return and closed loop, I have 2 MP40's and a gyre, all on one side of the tank opposite the overflow. It is challenging finding the right flow for a tank that is mostly sps but that has a few choice lps as well, including an elegance and a bubble that I've had for over 5 years and are quite large. I've had to move the elegance into a protected space behind the bubble because the tissue was starting to recede when it was out in the open. I've never calculated the turnover in my tank but I'm sure it's quite high. I've just bought a used MP60 which I might replace the gyre with, moving the gyre into my frag tank because I'd rather not have any cords in my display.

When I upgraded, I also signficantly upgraded my skimmer, which I think is essential for any sps tank especially given the large number of well-fed fish I have. I bought a Reef Octopus 5000 external skimmer which overflows into a bucket which overflows when full into the sump. It's kind of finicky, especially after a water change or aquascaping, but once you re-find the sweet spot it pulls out a lot of dark gunk.

For top-off, I used to have a Tunze Osmolator on my old tank and absolutely lover it, used to call it my best investment. Well, after it broke I tried different things but eventually settled on a very unsophisticated but effective solution - a maxi jet 1200 on a timer, that pushes water into the display 3 times a day to approximate the water that evaporates. With a large water volume, it's not as important that you are precise. This is one areas I've probably had most of my accidents, either with the timer tripping and me not checking it for an extended period which drove the salinity up, or me running the pump on a regular circuit for whatever reason and forgetting about it until the whole reservoir was drained. Despite my large water volume, I once emptied over 60G into my display which dropped the salinity by about 3 points. I was very attentive for a while after that.

Finally, I used to have a calcium reactor but gave up on this when the CO2 leaked into my sump over the course of a few weeks and caused all kind of algae problems. It was undersized for my new sps tank anyway, so I began to dose using a doser and B-Ionic supplements. I am still playing with doing amounts, but I am having to dose upwards of 300 mL every day of both solutions to stay on top of utilization. It is a three channel doser, so with the third channel I dose a much lower amount of potassium. I used to dose vinegar but stopped to start dosing potassium and didn't notice a problem when I did. My nitrates are starting to climb though, so I might have to revisit this. But that will be the subject of another post.

my lighting evolution....

my flow...

my doser...

my top-off...

my skimmer...

Jewel

Nice equipment, I envy you that you have the basement to utilize, Have you tried a Gravity Flow ATO, Put a container up above your sump, using a float and just gravity flow, I've used a cooler running a plastic hose from the drain to a float, worked great.

Andrew D

Thanks Jewel. I considered a gravity fed ATO using a float, but decided against it for a few reasons. First, I've seen too many things go wrong with a float in other people's tanks, although granted that was with an ATO fed directly by the RO. Second, my water volume tends to fluctuate a lot, given my skimmer and the many times I siphon water out of my tank for other reasons (feeding QT tanks, acclimatizing/dipping new corals, etc...). Finally and probably most relevant, despite the space I have I don't really have someplace I can put a tank large enough without creating an obstacle in the back, unless I decided to convert my frag tank for that purpose.

Jewel

Yes I understand totally, with such a large system it's difficult to supply top off using a float system, You'd need a more of a fail safe system.