Royal Gramma Has A White Patch On Back

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Hi people's

I have an issue with my Royal Gramma it has a white spot on its back.

Picture

And

It has been in my tank for three weeks and for over two weeks it's had this white patch.

There has never been ich type spots and it's the only one that has this spot.

It swims and eats Okay and is not flashing or gill flair. The spot has not changed size or shape.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Hard to tell from the pic...a closer shot would.really help...but it looks more like physical damage, a bite or a burn, than a disease.

Heater in the DT? or do you have a sump?

Any opportunistic night predators like crabs or green serpent stars? Or a powerhead that it might have tangled.with?

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
The heater is in the sump, back compartment that no fish can get in contact with. Had a power head in there but removed It so maybe. No night predators that I know of, only blue legged hermits two and a fighting conch. Some snails.

It looks smooth and like an abrasion but I assumed it would have healed by now. The Royal gramma does hide in tight crevices.

Kman

Super Active Member
It is hard to tell so try and get a better picture.

Does the damage go into the top fin? Any blood Streaks in the fins? How do the other fins look like? What are your nutrients and tank parameters like?

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
No damage into the fins, no blood streaks either. The parameters look good no ammonia, zero nitrates, nitrites. Been doing weekly water changes 4 gallons on a 20 gallon.

I did lose a Midas blenny, it disappeared last week. It was swimming around happy as a clam and eating like a champ then the next day it was gone. I even removed every rock to try finding him and looked everywhere for the body. I even have a lid on the tank.

100gallon

What are u feeding it? I've read that lack of frozen meaty foods will cause it to bleach out a bit....I noticed it in mine....fed him more brine and erc and he's back to normal.

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
new life spectrum and frozen mysis shrimp.

Thanks everyone I guess I will just keep an eye on him. Cant get a better pic

Last edited:

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Looks like physical damage. Maybe from the rocks being moved or just darting in and out of the rocks.

Does it look any better or worse today?

Sony Xperia Z3
Well that's the puzzling thing. It has looked the same, no better or worse for almost a week now.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
If the scales were scrapped off by something. It will take a significant amount of time for it to heal correctly and possibly grow back.
I'm asking if it looks better or worse today. Is there blood streaks through it, more colour returning, is he swimming funny.... Stuff like that

Sony Xperia Z3

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
No blood streaks, it might be lighter. Not swimming funny. But they do swim funny. He eats great and attacks the food and is always out and feisty. Not acting like a sick or stressed fish.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I would just keep any on him. He seems fine and like other members said. Probably physical damage and not a disease.
But just watch him day to day and make sure he's acting normal, eating well and not developing any worse conditions on the sore

Sony Xperia Z3

Kman

Super Active Member
It does look like physical damage. I would watch your crabs, a hungry crab will snack on a sleeping fish or a fish that gets to close if they are not getting enough food. Also look for spots that the fish could have gotten pinched.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Must be physical damage, a scrap on a rock. They can get into the weirdest places.

I have one really pushy blue legged hermit. He kicked the other hermit out of his shell one morning. I turned on the lights and it was going down.

I put in 6 different sized shells and he tried everyone of them on.

I am completely void of algae. The snail have done a great job. I've put in algae wafers to supplement their food source.
But fish always seem hungry

Kman

Super Active Member
I have had blue legs kill fish, snails and anything they can get their hands on. Some are just jerks.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Died today. Last couple days it was flashing. It had never done this before this week. It just laid down and expired.

Kman

Super Active Member
That sucks. It is sad to see a nice fish like that go. :'(