Using Prime

Do you use Prime or another Conditioner with Your RO, RO/DI units

• Yes

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • no

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters

Jewel

How many of You Reefers Use Prime or another Water Conditioner in conjuction with your RO or RO/DI units for water changes or/and Top Offs?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
My tank crashed completely after i stopped using prime in my rodi. To be fair, I'm not 100% certain that was the cause, but I've been using tap with prime since the reboot, and haven't had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i dont feel there is any use for prime other than nutralizing amonia,nitrites and nitrates in the aquarium
i would only consider it if i was rearanging rockwork or transfering to a different tank.
your RO should make completley safe water for your tank and if you need prime to make your RO
safe then you need to change something in your RO system.sure prime declorinates tap water but its the other
crap that we dont want and thats why we use RO or RODI water

Jewel

Looks like only 30% of Reefers use Prime, Not saying its a bad thing to use it or not, I would say that I feel that Prime is geared more to the Fresh Water enthusiast. But after having this discussion and since it's pretty cheap and readily available that I will use it on my current set-up, When I find some Live Rock for it. Which is Not readily available where I live.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
yep i turn on the tap water fill the bucket ad some prime then dump in tank :) anyone that says you cant do that with sensitive corals i am sps dominant mostly acros and millis along with some zoas and gorgs including the super hard to keep blueberry bush gorgonian (thanks @barebottomcouple its growing so nicely)

I also want to say that i have done things this way for over 2 years and everything sure is happy lots of members have been by to see it as well

By the way prime also detoxifies and binds to not just chloramines and chlorine but also ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and heavy metals

heath

Distinguished Member
I ran tap water before the switch to the big tank and I agree with Steve, the only issue that I had with the tank (running 3 yrs) was micro feather dusters..makes a person wonder..

Jewel

Well then that settles it, If you three are using Tap Water and prime, Then the rest of us fools better throw our RO/DI units in the garbage and start buying Prime by the case. I've never heard of anything so Ridiculous in my life. Go ahead let the rath cometh. My goodness why do I even bother?

Jewel

Eric, I know with out doubt that you will do anything to enhance your tank, That's great, I commend you for being a responsible Reefer. You do this board proud.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
theres many different ways that all work well with reefing the key is to understand the concepts to be able to manage the good stuff and remove the bad no matter how you go about it the goal is a beautiful reef nobody has to agree with my ways i just show how i go about it which is obviously working well for me and could open options to others

Jewel

I think to have a Successful Reef you should follow a few basics with out exception. The best water quality possible, RO/DI with current filters and a TDS meter measuring the output, Prime if you want to have peace of mind, a quality skimmer, Great lights.( touchy Subject ) what ever you can afford and like, MH, T-5, LED, PC, VHO,

I keep reading on here about using Tap water and I think of all the Newbies setting up tanks and I'm concerned for them and the head aches that their going to have long term, I' know the Algea frustrations. I just wish that as responsible Reefers and I mean those that have been in this hobby long term that they would excersise caution when giving bad advice. What works for you today may not work long term. If you want to take short cuts then fine but don't promote it. When you say that you're an Expearienced Saltwater enthusiast and you know you're taking short cuts then I gotta wonder if you know the meaning of Expearience. Maybe having Expearience and being successful aren't the same thing but I tend to think that it should.

Jewel

Do you think perhaps your system finally said enough with the Tap water and crashed, just a coincidence that you started the RO, There could be other reasons why it went south at that time. I just can't fathom why putting better water in your tank would do it. Maybe one of the filters are tainted with something.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Things are doing well since I switched back to tap. Used tap on all my cichlid tanks and first salt tank. My daughter's salt tank has never seen rodi water. Tap water works just fine for me. Rodi unit is about the most useless piece of equipment I've bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk