Starting A 75g Reef Tank

Heuchan

I purchased a used saltwater system in December, but didnt set it up right away. I let the rocks sit for a few days out of water so they died. I read that wasnt the greatest choice buts its done now. So then I read scrub the dead rocks and soak them in water for a few weeks.I changed the water every few days and smelt it to make sure it didnt stink. I was convinced that the rocks were clean and had no smell. Removed the rocks from the water and let them sit in my garage for a week until my rodi system arrives. Once it arrived I began to fill my tank and add rocks. Now I notice a smell to the water that wasnt there when I had them soaking.
My question is can I save/use this rock at all? or should the water have some kind of smell to it?

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
The rock should be fine. Its probably the left over crap decaying. If youcan remove the rocks and wash them again. Give them a good scrub and spray them off really well. Have you tested your tank for a cycle yet?

Heuchan

I havent added salt to the water, I want to make sure the plumbing is good.
I can let it run for a few weeks and test the water, I'm in no rush to add anything yet.
thanks for the replys

Heuchan

Everything is running excellent. The smell is gone, fish are happy and corals are spreading. I want to set up a quarantine tank. I have 2 standard 20g tanks I want to set up. I was planning on using the space under a 55g metal stand. (I have cichlids in the 55g) I have always seen people use the bottom of their metal stands for another area for tanks. My question is it safe to do that? I have some plywood I can use to go under the two 20g tanks. I placed the tanks there to test fit them and they seem pretty snug against the legs of the stand. I just dont want my 55g tank come crashing down =/