Kessil

Kjay

Would like guys opinions. I am running a jbj 24 gallon. I currently have orbit marine led 18-24 inch. I am contemplating getting a Chinese black box full spectrum with timer and remote. $167 candian shipped.
What light would be better kessil160we tuna blue or the box. I know tuna blue a bit more but what would be better I the long run

Luke.

Distinguished Member
image.jpg

I got 2 A160 tuna blues amazing lights man !! And it'll be even better then I get a controller I have a few diff kind of corals but only sps is monti cap , it's doing fine . I have never ramped my a160 past 65% ( just don't need to)

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I've been told the 160 can keep some sps .. ( would be ruining the lights at a higher %) but for a few hundred more you could get the 360 and they would be nice for sps. That's my 2 cents :)

SamB

Super Active Member
Looking good !
If somebody says that Kessils can't keep SPS, you better run and tell The Coral Reef Shop in Burlington because that's the only light that they run on all of their coral tanks !

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
I have used 3 different lights over my frag tank (Prime, Kessil and a par38), and the Kessil gives me the best combination of growth+colouration on my SPS frags. I also run it on pure actinic, 24/7. 16 hours of 100% and 8 hours of 25%. If I was starting again, I would have Kessils on my display instead of Radions.

Skim

The Chinese unit does and will work, but you will more then likely have the Disco Ball effect. I would go with the Kessil, you will love the shimmer in the tank and in the room, some people have said it almost made them sick at first, it can be little overwhelming at first. I myself am just about to order a 160 as have a bit of of shadowing I want to take care of. But it is also hard not to look at the AI Prime units nice looking small might be what you are looking for. Check out some of the YouTube Videos on them nice light, and as for saying " for a little more " well just over 130 more for either the Kessil or the Prime so just under double the price of the Chinese unit, but in the long run you will end up with either the Kessil or the Prime. You remember that commercial " You can pay me now or you can pay me later ".