Doc's Nano Edge

DocMatthew

Hello Southern Ontario Reefers! I'm relatively new to the reefing world. I have kept various fresh water tanks for most of my 42 years, but before Christmas saw a 6 Gallon Fluval Edge kitted out for salt water for sale on Kijiji, and decided to take the plunge (Merry Christmas to Me)!

I'm chronicling the tank over at Nano-Reef as well, so if you want to see the first 2.5 months of activity, head on over to:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/355137-matthewdvms-fluval-edge-new-video/

But in a nutshell, here's what is in it:

Fluval Edge 6g
Koralia Nano 240 pump
Stock HOB filter

Filtration:
LR (random assortment from a few different sources)
Live Sand (not sure the source, came from the previous owner)
HOB Filter with Floss, Perigen and Charcoal

Lighting:
Stock LED lights, plus:
TrueLumen LED Strips 2X12,00K White, 1x453nm Actinic, 1x50:50 Actinic:White

Stock:
1x Cerith Snail
Various other small snails, brittle stars and a few aster sea stars which were hitch-hikers

4x Green Hairy Mushroom
1x Sunny D Yuma
4xRicordea florida (New!)

2x Green Star Polyp
1x Hammer Coral
1x Duncan Coral

1x Acan (not sure which type)

1x Milky Way Zoa
1x Supernova Zoa
1x unknown Zoa
1x Tubb's Blue Zoas
1x Arctic Ice Palys (with either some Medusa or or Nebula Palys thrown in the midst)
1x Nuclear Green Palys
1xStardust People Eater (New!)
1xGreen People Eater (New!)
1xPurple Death Paly (New!)
1XCaribbean Checker Zoa (New!)

3x Bird's Nest Coral (not sure of the individual types)
1x Forest Fire Digital
1x Ponape Bird's Nest
1x Acropora tenuis
1x Red Monti Cap
1xMicromusa (New!)

Here's a current FTS:
Head on (Full Lighting):

Head on (50% Actinic):

Side View of the (4 piece) Ric Garden:

Who knows, maybe I'll find some nice Rics to flesh out the garden when I am at the Brantford show tomorrow...

DocMatthew

Oh, and I was cooking shrimp for dinner last week, and thought the corals would like it, so I macerated a small amount of raw shrimp for them. The response was so overwhelming, I made a video...

DocMatthew

Beautiful tank mister!!, can we get any close up shots:) that's one nice setup!!!:p

Thanks, Shooter. Here are a few close ups. Nothing new (nothing that I didn't put on the Nano-Reef thread), but here are some of the best close-ups:

Mister Duncan (When you're this handsome, they call you Mister).

Acan with baby heads below the main ones (anybody know what type this is?)

Green Birds Nest

Green People Eater (Where to put him? Any suggestions?)

Another Birds Nest

Jewel

Very nice, Nanos can be a handful but very rewarding, Water changes help immensely, I'm looking for something like this, I'm in envy.

DocMatthew

Very nice, Nanos can be a handful but very rewarding, Water changes help immensely, I'm looking for something like this, I'm in envy.
Yup, I've heard of thenimportance of water changes. Current regime is 1/3 of the water twice weekly, one of those times Turkey bastering the sand before siphoning to get more crud out with the water change.

DocMatthew

Thanks, everyone! I posted this elsewhere, but thought I would cross-post here in case anyone has any thoughts...

Being a relative noob to this whole reef world, I'm not sure what is normal and abnormal, but here's my question/concern. I have some Zoas and Palys that are very happy, open and swaying in the current all the time, and others that seem to spend most of the time curled up in hiding. Some of the curled up ones are right next to happy ones. I tried a little 5 minute dunk in RO water to see if that would knock any pests off, and tried putting them in new locations, but they still remain tucked in. Any thoughts? Should I worry about this, or is this just what they do sometimes?

Here's an example (my Green People Eaters, I believe):

(when happy and open, they look like this):

And another:

(this is the second example when open):

And yet, others are perfectly happy looking:

DocMatthew

For fun, since I haven't added anything new, I thought I'd take some new pictures of the existing corals.

I think Duncan might be pregnant! Anyone want to confirm if these are new heads starting?

Salvador the Ricordea is is looking pretty sweet:

And I like to red-green combo of these two next to each other...

DocMatthew

Ric Rollin' tonight. Had to take a few pictures of the Ricordea

Top down:

From the side:

Feed me, Seymore... (I think this Ric just got named Audrey)