My Maxspect Gyre Xf130 Is Now A Very Effective Paperweight :(

Quartapound

....Really not impressed.

Here's a cut and paste of the description of the problem, the video diagnosis, response from Coralvue (US Distributor -- from reading other experiences the Canadian Distributor, Distribupet is less than useless)

CoralVue's Diagnosis:

"When you took the shaft out of the motor block you can see on one side of the magnet there is some abrasions or a spot that looks worn. That is caused by worn out motor bushings. What happens is the bushings start to wear and that allows the motor shaft to tilt ever so slightly causing friction (as indicated by the wear mark on the magnet) and excessive heat in the motor which eventually wears the motor down. We recommend that you swap the bushings out every 6 months to prevent this from happening. A lot of times the motor bushings get corroded from excessive calcium dosing and the bushings become calcified and won't spin anymore, but that's not the case with your Gyre, yours actually looks very clean and well cared for.

With that being said you will need a new motor block."

...I LIKED this pump when it was working, HATED it when I was doing maintenance, and LOATHE it now that it has failed. The bottom line, is that this product was properly cared for. It's supposed to be a PREMIUM PRODUCT (it certainly has a premium price tag). It should have lasted WAY longer than it did. ...It was never even operated above 30%!

I have a Vortech MP10 that's been in my tank 4 years longer than the Gyre, it still operates perfectly (in short pulse mode -- turning on and off EVERY SECOND! Incredible wear and tear.... and it's still rock solid.)

I'll elaborate more when I have the energy. It's depressing to think about at the moment.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I doubt they would have balanced it but the may have trued up the diameter of the rotor, the rotor would have to be cracked for you to have that problem but I would say it was a motor block failure.

Alexanneka

....Really not impressed.

Here's a cut and paste of the description of the problem, the video diagnosis, response from Coralvue (US Distributor -- from reading other experiences the Canadian Distributor, Distribupet is less than useless)

CoralVue's Diagnosis:

"When you took the shaft out of the motor block you can see on one side of the magnet there is some abrasions or a spot that looks worn. That is caused by worn out motor bushings. What happens is the bushings start to wear and that allows the motor shaft to tilt ever so slightly causing friction (as indicated by the wear mark on the magnet) and excessive heat in the motor which eventually wears the motor down. We recommend that you swap the bushings out every 6 months to prevent this from happening. A lot of times the motor bushings get corroded from excessive calcium dosing and the bushings become calcified and won't spin anymore, but that's not the case with your Gyre, yours actually looks very clean and well cared for.

With that being said you will need a new motor block."

...I LIKED this pump when it was working, HATED it when I was doing maintenance, and LOATHE it now that it has failed. The bottom line, is that this product was properly cared for. It's supposed to be a PREMIUM PRODUCT (it certainly has a premium price tag). It should have lasted WAY longer than it did. ...It was never even operated above 30%!

I have a Vortech MP10 that's been in my tank 4 years longer than the Gyre, it still operates perfectly (in short pulse mode -- turning on and off EVERY SECOND! Incredible wear and tear.... and it's still rock solid.)

I'll elaborate more when I have the energy. It's depressing to think about at the moment.
What's a new motor block worth?

Quartapound

What's a new motor block worth?

from coralvue, $100, plus duty and shipping... (that's with no propellers, cages, magnets, etc) ... I doubt I'd need a new shaft/magnet, but who knows... It's enough $$ to make that option not worth it, IMO.

from reef supplies, I could get the xf230 pump (no controller), which is the 'new, improved' version, which works with my old controller, for $179, minus 10% (Ray was kind enough to offer 10% off as a good will gesture... something he didn't have to do. No complaints from reef supplies service)

I need to think long and hard about whether I really want one in my tank anymore though...

even if it hadn't failed, they really are a PITA to maintain...

Alexanneka

from coralvue, $100, plus duty and shipping... (that's with no propellers, cages, magnets, etc) ... I doubt I'd need a new shaft/magnet, but who knows... It's enough $$ to make that option not worth it, IMO.

from reef supplies, I could get the xf230 pump (no controller), which is the 'new, improved' version, which works with my old controller, for $179, minus 10% (Ray was kind enough to offer 10% off as a good will gesture... something he didn't have to do. No complaints from reef supplies service)

I need to think long and hard about whether I really want one in my tank anymore though...

even if it hadn't failed, they really are a PITA to maintain...
Well I have an entire used unit I'd let you have for $100. Only problem I believe is one of the rotors is broken. I'm out by London but have a few guys that make trips out my way for corals and I'm up that way occasionally. On the other hand if not let me know what you'd like for it as I could use it as parts for the others I have. Hope this helps. ;)