Diy Dosing Pump.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Running it through the ringer this weekend. Running for 20 seconds ever 1:40. So 30 cycles an hour. I get 7 ml in 20 seconds on the current setting. I will test again on Sunday around 1 pm, so 40 hours of on/off cycles which is 1200 times. Let's hope I still hit 7 ml...

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Running it through the ringer this weekend. Running for 20 seconds ever 1:40. So 30 cycles an hour. I get 7 ml in 20 seconds on the current setting. I will test again on Sunday around 1 pm, so 40 hours of on/off cycles which is 1200 times. Let's hope I still hit 7 ml...

if so im placing an order for a torx power doser :D

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Approx 17 hours later, and approx 510 cycles, and still spot on. I test 5 doses in a row every couple hours to ensure consistency and spot on. Again, 20 second cycle doing 7ml. Pretty much getting to the simulated point where it would be over a year of use with no issues. Hoping to simulate 3 years worth by end of day tomorrow. Now I just need to get out of the red in the bank account so that I can order some supplies.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Approx 17 hours later, and approx 510 cycles, and still spot on. I test 5 doses in a row every couple hours to ensure consistency and spot on. Again, 20 second cycle doing 7ml. Pretty much getting to the simulated point where it would be over a year of use with no issues. Hoping to simulate 3 years worth by end of day tomorrow. Now I just need to get out of the red in the bank account so that I can order some supplies.

Now thats reliability testing at it finest.... betcha the big boys wont go to the extent you have when finished

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Update. Still no lose in dosing after more then 36 hours.

I cranked it to 100% and had some issues. 20 second cycle was getting 16-18ml inconsistently.

After turning it down just a hair, I was getting 12.5ml consistently over a 10 dose test. I will run it for 24-36 hours and see as well.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Kind of forgot about updating this thread thanks to work and the weather. Either way, still has been running the whole time and 0 issues. I am going to order some parts soon to make double dosers in the one case, speed controlled separately off one power supply. There will be a power link as well so that more then one can be connected if you want. Why...just because lol. I will need to test the pumps more to see how many you can link together without power lose in the pumps.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
sounds damn reliable to me .... so when will dual pumps be in production :D

Here is a hit of information....

It is only as reliable as your timer, or in my case, my Apex. A good digital timer has on/off in seconds, so you should be good. I will try out a 6v pump on the next order. The 6v ones I found are gear driven from the motor instead of friction. The lower voltage also should allow for even slower speeds and more control over dosing. Also, I will recess the speed control into the box to be flush with the case. There will not be a fancy knob on it and would need a small screwdriver to adjust the speed. Why? That way there is no accident adjustments to the control. There will be 2 power switches and a link for a second unit to work off the same power. Let me know if there is anything else you can think of other then a digital display and built in timer lol.

This DIY doser is NOT for small tanks due to the limitations of minimum dosing. Per the pump specs, the minimum the pump can do is 20-60ml/min, at 12v, depending on the controller. At 20 seconds, I was getting 7ml, lowering the controller much more would not steadily return the same results and sometimes was a lower dose. The 6v pump will have more control over a lower flow rate per the specs.

For one with 2 pumps, it is still looking at around $60-70 for source parts cost and a few dollars for my time. Reworking the case cover is the longest part, I do not have Lasers like @J_T :)

As soon as I have a spare $100 to order some parts I will start making some dual ones up. My wife's birthday is the day after valentines day, and right on the heal of my sons birthday in December, Christmas, then my daughters birthday in January, so it may not be until March. If all goes well, I will have a few at London Fragfest in April, as well as a few of my DIY Jebao/Apex cables made up and some DIY parts to do one yourself.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
What did you need a laser for? Let me know. I will talk to my laser guy, and see what he says.

But more importantly, get to work on my task :)

To cut out the pump, dial, and switch holes into the electrical box cover. I just used a dremel, file and mad skills. For the few I will need, thanks for the offer though :) I doubt they will get that big. Then again, I sold well over 100 of my DIY cables :confused:

cica

......I will try out a 6v pump on the next order. The 6v ones I found are gear driven from the motor instead of friction....

Hi Torx,
I would not bother with these pumps. I bought some, they are very noisy. They take almost 3 min. to pump 100 ml. I use 2 of them since mid January, one is dosing kalk at night, 60 times for 15 sec. (about 550 ml each night).They still pump about the same amount but the noise is about double then when I started using them. I use this in the basement for the frag tank. Kapelan's controller works great for these.
I bought the 12 v direct drive ones to make a doser for my main tank upstears, just need some time to put it together.
That is just my experience with these, maybe it is just me who got the noisy ones.

Joe

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Hi Torx,
I would not bother with these pumps. I bought some, they are very noisy. They take almost 3 min. to pump 100 ml. I use 2 of them since mid January, one is dosing kalk at night, 60 times for 15 sec. (about 550 ml each night).They still pump about the same amount but the noise is about double then when I started using them. I use this in the basement for the frag tank. Kapelan's controller works great for these.
I bought the 12 v direct drive ones to make a doser for my main tank upstears, just need some time to put it together.
That is just my experience with these, maybe it is just me who got the noisy ones.

Joe

Thanks for the heads up. I am looking for something that is slower dosing, but worried about how noisy they will be. The other 12v pumps I have can dose a lot more as I have noted above, so might be worth looking at them. I just used a simple PWM board for speed and Apex as timer.