Tank Help

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
No there is a glass place just down the road from there.
Steve at LA tells me they do nice work.

ya tri county glass is well known for a-1 workmanship just trying to see if anyone knew of a hidden gem with really good pricing

If you're talking about Living Aquarium, I'm pretty sure that's his second home :)

If it was any closer to home id just sleep on his couch and wait for the fresh shipments for dibs :) although have been in to abd quite a few times lately..... im just lucky to have bigshow, aquariums by design, big als and Living aquariums all within a 30-45 min drive, it sure makes getting good stock easier

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
who was it that offered those glass hole saws i cant remember but i will be needing to borrow them soon and some assistance would be even better :)

zoomster

Hey Steve,
Just reading through this thread, and was just wondering about the "injection method"
That you are referring to? How does that process work as compared to "running a bead"?

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Hey Steve,
Just reading through this thread, and was just wondering about the "injection method"
That you are referring to? How does that process work as compared to "running a bead"?

the pros tell me its far easier to get a perfect seam. when you run a bead and assemble a tank it is really hard to do properly. its too easy to over squish the sillicone or not squish enough and too thick or too thin of a seam will compromise the overall integrity of the tank. the injection method makes it simple for begginners because you use spacers first to set the gaps all around then a couple dabs of sillicone in a few spots will hold the glass so you can remove the spacers once the sillicone has cured. after that you fill all the long sections just enough that the bead comes into the tank this stops any chance of air bubbles forming when placing the pane and any shifting that would weaken the seal is eliminated. Once done you can apply your inside seal and tool it (tape here can make for nice crisp and even lines).

The only difference is it makes it alot easier for diy as the glob and flop method can be a pita and like i said takes alot to learn how to do properly with alot that can go wrong. Plus the injection method is single user friendly where as running a bead you will want an extra set of hands.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Right now im debating if im using my 125 when i rebuild it or just go bigger and do my own custom built in wall.... will decide once i get the walls ripped off:l

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
thickness is perfect most say on the bag what thickness is. just use more than 2 or 3 or else they might squish under the weight if a bigger tank. always better to practice small