New Monti...what Kind??

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
I pick up this monti today, any idea what exactly it is?

Attachments

• 20150124_142704.jpg
    20150124_142704.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 20150124_142655.jpg
    20150124_142655.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 78

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Looks more like a chalice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah +1 on that... those polyps are too big and strange to be a Monti. But then again, looking at the second pic you can see that the surface in between the polyps looks similar to that of a Monti Cap - it looks stony instead of fleshy and features what appear to be long stretched out shallow corallites.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
It looks like something from the enchinopora, enchinophyllia, oxypora, or Mycedium sp.
Maybe I am wrong, maybe it is a monti but nothing like anything I have seen before from the acropora Montipora sp.
Keep us updated.... The monti will not develop long tentacles at night whereas the other sp mentioned should develop some midnight sweepers much like Favia so that is a dead giveaway too.

Last edited:

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Looking at some pictures of oxypora yeah I see what you are saying for sure. I saw a few specimens that have that same hard bumpy flesh I was referring to above as monti-like.

You can see the similarities in structure with this one here... but obviously the colours don't match

236124.jpg

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
The pics posted by the OP reminded me immediately of what we all know as Hollywood stunner

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I have mine mid level with medium flow. Becareful of the sweepers that come out of this thing. They are several inches long sometimes.