Torx's 120 Gallon Peninsula Tank Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Monti Rock

e2a8u4u2.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

If u got this from jewel than that is a red digi rock with a tri color acro, used to be mine aswell lol. :)
Tanks looking good and the blue tipped acro is looking good where it is. I hope everything does great for you as im sure it will.

Jewel

Come on buddy, You're holding out on me, I want to see how those Corals are doing that you got from me, Including the Clam.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I broke down and will be taking a break from LEDs for a bit. Getting a 6 bulb T5 installed next weekend and hoping that it helps with growth. I wanted to do a nice LED build, but way out of my budget for a while, so sticking to norm here. Parameters are all good, other then nitrates.

NO3 - 3 ppm
PO4 - 0.02 ppm
kH - 3.2Meq/L or 9.0dKH
Ca - 400 ppm
Mg - 1240 ppm

Pics from the left and right side as of today.

Scarey sump area at the moment. Too many other things going on lol

Last edited:

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Nitrates are great actually :) many of my favorite tanks run between 1-5 ppm nitrates, corals seem to colour up better than when they are below 1.

Why the switch to T5? Just to try something different?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Nitrates are great actually :) many of my favorite tanks run between 1-5 ppm nitrates, corals seem to colour up better than when they are below 1.

Why the switch to T5? Just to try something different?

Somewhat. Basically, I know that my current LED's will not do what I want them to. I wanted to upgrade to a better LED system, but I am not in the place to get that set up right now. I know I can get a T5 set up a lot cheaper and they are the tried and true method along with MH. The LED set up that I want will end up being close to $900 when I am done, I am doing my T5 for about $275. I will be going back to LED, but probably not until next christmas.

I did just seriously tune my WP-40's through my Apex. Even though they are both placed at one end of the tank, I have a killer wave. Currently uploading a video of the wave.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
There we go. Have a wave kicking in the 120 pen tank. Fish were scared for a while, but got used to it quickly. WP-40's on 0-100%. On 4 off 3 syn and divide by 10 checked box. I love how this is possible while still leaving the one end open and free of hardware.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
That blue tip acro that u bought from me, did it brown out??

Sadly yes, still get nice bright green PE, it was my first acro and it did brown out, was the reason that I started looking for a T5 fixture. Should have it here and installed next weekend. Only thing I could attribute it to is the lights. All other levels seem good I think.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
If it were me id bump my mag up to 1350 and my cal to 420, but i def dont think ur levels woulda caused the brown.. probably ur lights like u said. If u still have colored polyps id say itll be fine if it gets back under t5s. I bought that as a frag and sent it to hell and back. And it did well once i stabilized everything. Good luck!!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
NIce looking wave!

What LED's are you running now? I find most any new piece I add to my system usually browns out. Then within a couple of months, color comes back.
Running 1 DIY fixture and one Chinese LED. DIY one is stronger then the Chinese one by far and the sps on the DIY side is doing much better. I do plan on going back to LED, but now I won't be rushed and can do a nicer LED setup.

As for the wave, I have that fast wave and a slower one saved. Was nice to finally sit down and tune them.

Millies are looking awesome, what I got from Rick looks awesome too, just need a little more in the lighting department I think.

Last edited:

jroovers

Super Active Member
Looking good, that is a nice wave. Will be interested to see how you fair with the T5s. Without starting a whole LED/T5 debate, I think it is a good call. As Phil noted, I wouldn't be too worried about 3 ppm nitrates either, probably right around where you want it to be for SPS anyway. Your LPS may even appreciate more.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
What kind of salt do you use and whats your wc schedule?

Right now I have 1 DIY LED and one 50/50 chinese LED. Worked well on LPS and softies, but not powerful enough in the long run of things. Can not afford a good LED fixture at the moment, so I am doing T5's for a while first. I have them on for 8-10 hours depending on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.