Maxspect Riptide Gyre

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I know someone who put one in a 6 foot 180, he has been loosing fish/shrimp ever since installing.
Just sucks everything right up lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefgeek

I know someone who put one in a 6 foot 180, he has been loosing fish/shrimp ever since installing.
Just sucks everything right up lol

That doesn't sound too fun, i could understand shrimp, what size fish are you talking about?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Chromis/cardinals, gobies and a hawk fish.

He said he literally saw a chromis get sucked in swimming by.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Chromis/cardinals, gobies and a hawk fish.
He said he literally saw a chromis get sucked in swimming by.

Interesting, I didn't read the whole thread on RC on the gyre, but didn't see this mentioned there. Overall, sounds like the majority of initial reviews are pretty positive.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Interesting, I didn't read the whole thread on RC on the gyre, but didn't see this mentioned there. Overall, sounds like the majority of initial reviews are pretty positive.

I wouldn't say it's so much a bad thing, they are powerful pumps. Turn them down lol.

It will be the long term performance I am most interested in.

reefgeek

We will see teebone, I am hoping it is a break-in type issue. Also it is much quieter at lower rpms that is why I made the comment about possibly needing the larger version for my size of tank. I will post an update if the noise lessens and the same if it does not. When I made the video the Gyre had really only been running for 30 mins total.

saltyair

Thank you reefgeek excellent vid and run down.
I am curious tho how well it will work in a tank with rock and corals. It seems to have the power.

I will watch the second vid on the controller - for some reason the tablet is not giving me any sound.

reefgeek

On a side note, checked tank this morning and sand bed was literally cleared out at the far end of the tank, right down to the bare glass, I was pretty impressed and just a little annoyed. Definitely have an established gyre in the 300 gallon tank.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Thanks for posting those great informative videos, definitely looks like a promising option.

Looks like the gyre is effective, but I'm really surprised at how much noise it makes. After all the initial hype, I don't recall any comments about how loud it is. Sounds like it could be louder and then vortech?

Over on the RC thread, a few people have complained about the noise. Apparently there is a break in period, but noise is an issue noted by a few people.

I'm curious how the flow will change when you add Liverock and corals.

+1

bkushy

I have one of these on my 8 foot tank. I am still up in the air on what I think of it. My understanding was it would create a nice even flow. It does an excellent job of creating flow, almost too much power. I run it at 30 or 40 percent. At this power I had to move some of my corals around as the flow on the same side of the gyre is quite strong and most corals did not like it. Anything above 60 or 70 percent it starts to make a bit of a squeal out of the pump. Nothing crazy but noticeable and more than I expected. All in all as far as flow goes it is very capable. I crank mine up every so often and it stirs everything up so it can get filtered out. However, as was mentioned by a previous poster, this afternoon my Fromia Star was found sucked to the bottom side.......... makes me wonder if I made the right move, time will tell. Also, I would go for the larger one and keep it turned right down, I would think this would be easier on the motor than running a 35 watt at a higher percentag.