Sps Id Please

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Mainly light green with pink growth tips and polyps.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415507656415.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415507656415.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 112

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
is still too small to really tell the growth structure for a positive id its just starting give it 6 months and it will really take off i dont care what you call it i like the pattern

jroovers

Super Active Member
If I had to guess it looks most similar to me to a red planet (A. Hyacinthus). They can be very green depending on the light, and the way it is growing out from the base is similar to what you would see with A. Hyacinthus. However, tough to tell until it gets bigger. Where is Darryl on this forum when you need him lol?

jroovers

Super Active Member
Honestly, it doesn't look anything like my red planet.

You may want to try posting on the RC SPS ID forum and see what answers you get. My best early guess would be A. Hyacinthus, but that definitely could be wrong. Red Planet has become a pretty uniform name to describe acros that are red to pink in colour with a green base and tend to plate or table, which most think is A. Hyacinthus. There is a lot of variation in these pieces and you'll find "Red Planet" everywhere but its not all from the same mother colony. Even within the same tank, clones can show some variation based on the light and flow they are in. Just because it doesn't look like your other red planet doesn't necessarily mean it isn't the same or similar species of coral however. Difficult to say though based on its current growth. Hopefully you get a better answer and more definitive ID. Either way, nice SPS :)

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
You may want to try posting on the RC SPS ID forum and see what answers you get. My best early guess would be A. Hyacinthus, but that definitely could be wrong. Red Planet has become a pretty uniform name to describe acros that are red to pink in colour with a green base and tend to plate or table, which most think is A. Hyacinthus. There is a lot of variation in these pieces and you'll find "Red Planet" everywhere but its not all from the same mother colony. Even within the same tank, clones can show some variation based on the light and flow they are in. Just because it doesn't look like your other red planet doesn't necessarily mean it isn't the same or similar species of coral however. Difficult to say though based on its current growth. Hopefully you get a better answer and more definitive ID. Either way, nice SPS :)
I completely agree.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
i allways love seeing the difference between an original frag and the new growth.... is funny how it changes pattern with conditions but does purpose for them to increase water contact according to flow