10 Reef Fish Beginners Should Avoid

saltyair

These are 10 fish commonly sold to new hobbyist. There are many more but these I have found as the most common.

#1 Clown Tang (Acanthurus lineatus)
This tang is very beautiful - but is also highly aggressive. It needs 300 gallons to be truly happy with highly oxygenated seawater. It will attack other tangs and fish that have the same diet.

#2 Pairs of Fire/tomato/maroon clownfish - these 3 clownfish all become highly territorial and will take over an aquarium. They will seem peaceful at first but once they settle in they will kill other fish that come close.

#3 sixline wrasse (pseudcheillinus hexataenia)- Always becomes the most aggressive fish in the tank.

#4 Dragonets - In a new aquarium without a high amount of live food these little colourful fish will starve to death. must have a reef with lots of live rock and tons of fauna. Dosing with pods to feed these fish is a losing battle. They feed constantly.

#5 Vlamingi tang - lovable and full of personality this tang is sold to so many beginners because they adapt better than most tangs. They are also pigs and eat more than any tang i have ever seen. The grow extremely fast and out grow most aquariums in months. They grow to over 2ft and can weigh up to 10lb.

#6 Moorish idol - extremely tough to feed and most die in the first week or two. This fish needs great water parameters. They are sponge eaters in the wild making it hard to replicate in our aquariums.

#7 Achilles tang (acanthurus achilles) Very demanding fish, highly active and open water swimmer. Not resilient to disease. they need lots of room and will "go crazy" in small crowded aquariums.

#8 Pipefish - the flow required in most reef aquariums are not suitable for these delicate fish. They are tough to feed and also require live food for them to thrive.

#9 Orange spotted sleeper goby (valenciennea puellaris) I see this fish sold to many starting hobbyist, this fish needs a well populated sand bed of flora and fauna. Most of these fish starve to death even though they will eat frozen mysis. They can also strip a 75 gallon sand bed in a few weeks of any fauna.

#10 90% of all Damselfish - Yes these relitivly inexpensive beautiful colored small fish are not good for a community reef. They become very aggressive and will terrorize the other fish, in the wild they are extremely territorial and will defend to the death. I have personally witnessed a blue damselfish terrorize to death a 6 inch panther grouper. If you are getting a damselfish just be very cautious.

I hope this helps new hobbyist enjoy their tanks and successful husbandry.

reefgeek

#1 Clown Tang - First tang I purchased for my 110 back in the day was the Clown tang. Then added a Yellow tang, Sailfin tang and a Kole tang, had to remove the clown for 2 months to let the other three acclimate. After that the clown tang was domesticated. Some get luckier than others I suppose. Great fish but definitely much more active than other tangs.

saltyair

Yea I agree with the copperband butterfly, that being said if they are eating frozen food they are fairly hardy.

Wow reefgeek imo you got lucky, I tried a unicorn tang in a 75 when I first started.

Jewel

Powder Blue Tangs, Too many of these beautiful fish are being killed by people who can't provide for them and when they get Ick can't look after them.