Diy Plugs

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
so after looking around for the cheapest place to buy plugs i asked someone i know where he got all his from and he laughed at me and told me that he uses air drying clay that doesnt need to be fired in a kiln to cure... aparently as long as its all natural modeling clay after a month of hardening and a couple weeks to cure they are inert and reef safe.

so now im thinking.... theres clay all natural air drying for $1.25 at dollarama so i got some and formed it into disks 1.5" diameter poked 2 holes in each incase i need to tie some softies and set them to dry.... after 3-4 weeks when im confident they are completely dry i am going to put them in a bucket of water and test once a week and see how long till no spikes are registerable and i feel they are ready for the next step..... i made approximately 40-1.5" disks about 3/8" thick and only cost me $1.25 so with that i can assume 200 would cost me $5.25 considering best deal i have found is 200 for $22 this could definately be worth my while.

Am looking forward to sharing my findings with you so stay tuned for soon to come pics :)

reefgeek

Interesting, I would have assumed that the salinity would break down an air dried clay in a matter of weeks. Look forward to hearing your results.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well good thing my mom has a small kiln his even tho says all natural air drying look on their website its actually a polymer clay.... funny what is considered all natural nowadays

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
One thing is missing in your equation for the cost! Your time!!! If it takes 5 hours, have you saved anything?

There is something to be said for diy, but i find sometimes, its best to let the mass producers make stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
made a bunch of plugs out of aragonite and portland cement as well..... i used 2 cups of aragonite and one cup of portland for the smooth ones and 3 cups of aragonite with one cup of portland for the rough ones.... i also made a bunch of little peices to cure and throw in my sump...... should give more crevices than liverock for pod production

20140806_171655.jpg 20140806_182825.jpg 20140806_234515.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
i have a few hundred portland flats already cured in frag tank if anyone wants any to try out also have grow out racks i made can send pics if interested already cured for 2 months

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
That's awesome! How big are the Portland flats - diameter?

they are about 1 1/4" and 1/2" thick

wow, you are soo talented, building tanks, making frag plugs, what up next, lol.

Lmao thats what happens when i get bored and read something cant help but try it out :) whats next i dont know am running out of ideas quick have some things i want to try but wallet wont co-operate

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
for sure im gonna spend a couple hours soon and make around 1000 willput them in a vat then in my sump till people want them have already soldover 800 to tft members and a couple stores.... seems alot of people like these over ceramic ive noticed the zoa and palys i attach do really good and start multiplying sooner and others told me their sps encrusted over in no time whick is what i will see next

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well 3 heads of nuke greens on one flat after 2 weeks has grown over entire top connecting the 3 and 2 babies forming ppe went from 5 heads and now 3-4 babies forming.... will be stocking my fragtank soon got lots of palys and zoas to trim and some grow out racks that need covering