My Seahorse Cube And Babies

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well have got bored with the looks so am planning on changing the inside around a bit and should free up around 5 gallons worth of swimmable space.... im going to break the lr into smaller peices and put them in the sump on the back portion and then i want to create an atlantis feel with sunken ruins

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
newest addition to my seahorse tank.... after quite some time in quarentine i finally have a pipefish in the sh tank but sadly the second one didnt make it through the process. all this was possible with a little help from seahorse.org on treating wild caught pipefish in quarentine so my beauty tank bred sh stay healthy :) enjoy
20141106_194629.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
thanks im just hoping i did everything right was a big debate but after step by step instructions i should be ok i also noticed that after adding the calurpa their patterns changed more to their original colour when i first got them and they sure love playing in it

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well kinda neglected the sh tank the past couple weeks had alot of new stuff and work to be done on the 125 and being a manager and foreman doesnt help any..... so to help in my battle with gha i finally got a circulation pump stuck with the hydor koralia as ive yet to have one fail and they have excellent customer relations.

Am really impressed as its only a 240 gph for a nano and is the size of 2 golf balls and what a difference just overnight.

Another thing i noticed and will take a pic once i clean the tank a bit is that the new female from yvette is actually growing cirri at first i thaught was a peice of algae but now can for sure see her cirri around head are comming in and starting to form on body as well..... maybe the lack of algae is why they lose in captivity who knows and is odd its just the female and not the males

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well managed to get the sh tank cleaned up a bit now that things are calm again with my 125gal disaster... seems like the calurpa is doing great lots of new sprouts forming now and a decent root structure. sure does help choke out gha. i got sick of hearing the crappy coralife skimmer so opted for more water changes instead and am thinking of having a large external fuge underneath and use hob sump for strictly mechanical filtration.

in the mean time im trying to get a better pic of the cirri on the female they have gotten quite large now but still nothing on the males how weird is that.

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
i thought it was maybe from my gha outbreak but you got them forming and no algae.... maybe its their personal style lol am glad you have ones with it forming

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
some pic updates.... no more pipefish either :( pulled him out the other day but not surprised as they have a very low survival rate especially the dragon face ones that i had... maybe will try a hardier species but qting them is a real pain.

every morning when the lights go on i noticed they all spend a good half hour pushing and pulling the caulerpa to give themselves an empty pocket hidden away..... seems like breeding behaviour if you ask me. Yvette you might get a call one these days lol.

IMG_20150221_101707.jpg
IMG_20150221_101508.jpg

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
no more pipefish either :( pulled him out the other day but not surprised as they have a very low survival rate especially the dragon face ones that i had..
Sorry you lost the pipefish Steve. I have tried three times with three different kinds and have always lost them. I still think my failure is because they weren't in a species only setup and they couldn't take the pathogens the other fish carried. :(

every morning when the lights go on i noticed they all spend a good half hour pushing and pulling the caulerpa to give themselves an empty pocket hidden away..... seems like breeding behaviour if you ask me. Yvette you might get a call one these days lol.
Most likely it is breeding behaviour. Mine always do at lights on and evening feeding time. The funny part is the males are so excited at feeding time that they start flirting but the girls are much more interested in getting to the food. Sometimes there is quite a tugging match going on with the girls racing for the food and the boys hanging onto their tails for dear life while they get dragged around the tank..:)