21ledusa.com Led Supplemental Lighting

4Hummer

Hello Reefers, Thought I should post a review on some AMAZING and CHEAP LED's

First a little Background, My tank was originally going to be a FOWLR tank only, With that in mind I bought a Cheap Odyssea 72" Quad T5HO Light fixture, with Timer and Moon Lights. I had read all the reviews on this light so I knew what I was getting into. (Plus I ordered spare parts for it) And me being me I intended to mod this fixture. I have already replaced the ballasts with much better ones, put ATI Bulbs into the fixture, and upgraded the cooling fans, Along with re-doing some wiring while I had the fixture apart. All in all it's not a terrible light. The single biggest disadvantage to it, is the Single reflector. But no Matter this is a FOWLR Tank,

Along comes our good friend EricTMah. (Yes Eric I'm blaming you) He needs to borrow the SID for my ReefKeeper, and in return (to my surprise) he gave me a small frag of GSP, and a mushroom frag.
Oh My! the colour, Oh My! the movement it adds to the tank, Oh My I WANTS MORE.

Move forward a couple weeks, and many hours spent researching Corals, Zoas, etc, and this GSP and Mushroom are really spreading nicely (GSP almost doubled in 2 weeks)

Off I go and buy some Zoa Frags from Spy'd. Now I'm hooked, because within 2 weeks the Zoa's are growing and spreading.

Next thing I find myself looking at is lighting, GASP!, Ouch, The Prices.... My current Bulb layout is 2 ATI Blue Plus bulbs, One ATI Coral Plus, and one ATI Blue Special, I have the moon light come on first for 30Min, than the 2 Blues 30min later, followed by the last two day time bulbs, End of day is reverse of this, Best I can do for sunrise sunset. And you know what, The PAR is pretty darn good, So What do I really need?

It's that POP you get with LEDs and M/H's, the Shimmer I'm missing, that Amazing
fluorescent Glow, And just a Touch more Blue would be nice, (The ATI Blue special is Really white)

So now I'm looking at DIY'ing some LED's, And Geez that is not cheap either.... ReefBrights? Over 1K for 2 72"...... (May was all buy whole new fixture) Ahhhh whats this I find www.21LEDUSA.com ???

Spent a couple days chatting with Billy at 21ledusa.com and shooting emails back and forth. This guy is SUPER helpful, at this point I'm convinced, I'll get the POP I want, fluorescent Glow like crazy, and the ability to ramp up and down the lights!

I order up Four 48" Reefbars in Actinic Blue, The Power Supply, extra Cables, and the SunSetter Controller (Guys this is EXACTLY the same controller as the Current USA Orbit Marine Ramp Timer Pro.... Only $100.00 Cheaper) With shipping I'm under $250.00 NOT BAD

and this is what was delivered to me: MINUS Two ReefBars, as I was building brackets for them in the garage:

The Controller Remote.

First Thing I noticed was the build quality. AMAZING. solid aluminum, LEDS are incased in some sort of silicone, Wire connectors screw together water tight. Heavy duty power supply. and packaged VERY well.

Oh and the SIZE...... They are TINY!!!! This is a Dime for reference

4Hummer

Next up was to build some sort of Bracket, I suppose I could have just stuck them on to the bottom of my fixture, But I wanted them sitting a little further out from the light, Plus be able to angle the ReefBars if need be:

This is what I came up with. (I used the existing channel in the Odyssea fixture for the Legs) and cut up some brackets out of Acrylic, (Need to flame polish the edges still)

[URL=http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/4hummer/media/Salt%20Water%20Aquarium%20Build/ReefBars/IMG_0058_zps41c102f6.jpg.html]
[/URL]

4Hummer

So My Camera's really don't pick up the Colours well. But here goes

This is with JUST the ReefBars on:

This is JUST the Two ATI Blue + T5HO Bulbs on:

This is JUST Blue T5H0 and ReefBars, Camera doesn't really pick it up well. but the colour is much much deeper blue. Plus the Fluorescent Pop on the GSP and the Zoa's is Amazing.

Next Picture is all 4 T5HO lights on ONLY: 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Coral Plus, 1 ATI Blue Special,

And finally, All T5HO and the ReefBars. Picture doesn't do this justice at all, But it much Bluer than before

Last edited:

4Hummer

As s a Final Note. I love the Ramp up and Down feature of the timer, and my fish seem to like this too,
Build quality is much more than I expected
Billy at 21LEDUSA.com is great to deal with
The Colour, brightness and most importantly the fluorescent Glow the ReefBars added have simply amazed me

So whether your just looking for a little extra PAR, or maybe just simple Moonlights, Or if your like me wanted supplemental lighting I HIGHLY recommend you Check Out the ReefBars at www.21ledusa.com

jroovers

Super Active Member
They look very slick. I think the T5/LED combo is a great mix for coral growth and aesthetics. Do the reefbars cast a wide spread? Doesn't look like they have lenses, but the reefbar pros do?

4Hummer

No lenses, But a fairly wide spread. Which was why I made the brackets to mount onto my fixture the way I did, I needed to angle the ReefBars into the tank, and not have to much light spilling outside the tank (and Into my living Room)

I need to move my fixture a bit forward, or shorten the rear bracket, as the rear ReefBars are currently pointing into the C2C Overflow box. which is Tinted glass and dirty as all get out.

I did look at the ReefBar Pros, And Billy and I chatted about the difference, For Just LED Supplementation the Reef Bars are what I needed. For MASSIVE PAR increase or even stand alone lighting, The ReefBar Pro's is where it's at.

4Hummer

Cool I'll check out the site. I'm sure I'm having lighting issues for my lack of growth

Billy has Super White LED's and the Blues, The controller can support 2 channels (Blues and whites) independently. and can handle Four 4foot Bars on each channel (So eight 4 foot bars in total)

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Well I just ordered 2 4' pros and the su setter system. Here's hoping you're correct. Lol. Does anyone know if these are controllable with an apex system? These are 12v I see the apex saying 2-10v?

4Hummer

Well I just ordered 2 4' pros and the su setter system. Here's hoping you're correct. Lol. Does anyone know if these are controllable with an apex system? These are 12v I see the apex saying 2-10v?

Let us know how they work out for you. Dunno about the apex. I was thinking about using My ReefKeeper and the MLC module but I kinda like the SunSetter controller

Oh and post pics

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Im using 4 on a 6ft long tank... So Id think at least 2 (front and back) would be ideal

I ended up going with two. Do you remember how long it took to get to your door after ordering? I ordered last thursday, and tracking just says “processing”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Figured I throw my 2 cents in here for anyone else considering them. It took a week from the day I ordered for them to arrive (not bad coming from Texas). No duties either! I got two, 2:1 white/blue reefbars, and they light my tank pretty well. One thing I didn’t realize with the 2:1 - the whites and blues can’t be controlled independently, even with the ramp timer. So no moonlights for me until I buy a straight blue bar.
3bf2d076c6e28e774505e46684896bc7.jpg

A couple things I don’t like:

1. The cable from the timer to light is only 12”! Will have to buy an extension to be able to mount the timer in the stand.

2. They are so thin that I had to zip tie them to the center brace to keep them from falling over. Not an issue if mounting them to a canopy or light fixture I suppose.

1c2e8919d4350d2a8031c180e30bd02d.jpg

Overall, I’m pretty happy with them. Since it’s easy and relatively cheap to add more bars, I probably will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk