Alkalinity -hana Vs. Redsea Test Kit

milanz

I've been trying to get my alkalinity dialed in lately and I've been struggling with my test kit results. I have a brand new HANA reagent (and I also put in a new battery on the HANA checker just in case) and RedSea alkalinity test kit and I'm getting some pretty varied results. I'm doing both test to the T and my HANA colorimeter is reading 136ppm (about 7.616dkh) and my RedSea test kit is coming in at 8.8 dkh. That's a pretty big difference.

When I tested my alkalinity a week ago it was around 135ppm/7.56dkh on the HANA and about the same on the RedSea.

Has anyone had any similar problems?
Which one should I trust?
Are there any guys in the Sarnia area with a Salifert (or other) kit they would be willing to stop by with?

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
alk is a pretty simple test and the titration method is very reliable so i would go with the red sea, hanna is over complicating it, i have used red sea, salifert, seachem and all gave the same result, i prefer salifert cuz it is very quick and simple and it comes with a reference sample.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
not a hanna fan either, have the phosphorus ulr, i always do 2 tests with different reagent batches and average the 2 as long as they are within 10ppb, if not within 10ppb i redo both tests.