Flow For Fowlr

adamo

Hi,
I have a 180g and am going to be doing a fowlr. I have two 1500gph koralia powerhead and a koralia 600gph is this too much flow? Also where should i place them?
Thanks

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Amount of flow depends heavily on what types of fish you plan on keeping and how much rockwork you are going to have.

Lagoon species like low flow... Open water and near surface fish love tons of movement blowing them around. But also need sheltered areas to escape the flow to rest.

Tons of rocks will need lots of flow to prevent build up of detritus, but will still create sheltered low flow areas and homes for cave dwellers.

Think about the central fish you want and do your best to recreate their native habitat. Then populate with fish from a similar area of the reef. Many species are wide ranging and very adaptable but some have very specific ranges and needs.

spyd

Super Active Member
It definitely won't be too much flow for your tank. I would have the 2 larger powerheads on the opposite sides of your tank facing each other to create more of a random flow in your tank. If you have built the rock work away from the back wall (preferred method) then I would have the 600 mounted on the side blowing behind the rockwork to prevent detritus build up.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
grab rails.png
ive installed these stratigically through out the tank

lol

Jewel

I don't think it was a stupid question, I was going to ask it but now I see why Yvette had that response. I just stumbled on that pic and thought I'd ask but next time I see a stupid picture i'll just shake my head and move on Phil