Fu#$&ng Aiptasia!

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Whats the best way to kill aiptasia that are living in a zoa colony...this aiptasia thing is gettin a little outta hand now popping up all over the place, and in the middle of my higher end z/p's of course. Any suggestions, any "home remedies"? Some of these are removable to it is possible to separate it from main display while treating.
HELP!!!!

harleymike

Super Active Member
aphasia x does work, but its not as effective as a fish that will eat them. I go after them about once a month with the aptasia x and there back within couple weeks.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
i had 4 turn into 10 within a month i baught a couple pepermint shrimp and 3 months later i have 0 i just moved my zoas near where they hide and within a day they picked it clean rock by rock

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
aphasia x does work, but its not as effective as a fish that will eat them. I go after them about once a month with the aptasia x and there back within couple weeks.
This is my method for controlling them as well.

Will be looking at nudibranches this fall and hoping I can possibly breed them too.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah in planning on a group of peppermint, but i have one of those coral banded shrimp, and im pretty sure they're aggressive towrds other shrimp arent they?and tried the aip x stuff, ended up killing zoas with the stupid stuff, and found it didnt work all the well. Anyone try lemon juice?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Your peppermints would be fine IMO, they fast mofos. If it does bother them, catch the coral band shrimp in a glass and put in a breeder box till shrimp settle in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
filefish obliterated my aips... tried all the stuff you are thinking of... yes they work.... not for an infestation. My overflow is currently aiptasia heaven... I cant see the walls. They will keep coming back .. you need to find a biological control that is there eating them as they pop up.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
My copper band crushed the aips but as soon as they were done he couldn't make the switch to live food and unfortunately passed away.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah ill have to grab 6 or so peppermint from you jerry, asap lol. The aips are starting to kill off my zoas, and there just plain effin ugly lol. Rocks, zoa colonies, glass, EVERYWHERE!!! DRIVING ME MAD!!! Lol.

matti2uude

What do u do just spray them with it or stick it in their mouth? Is it safe to use in a zoa colony?
I use a syringe with a long curved tip that I got from my dentist and squirt it right in their mouth. They instantly shrivel up and turn black. I've used it on one in the middle of my pipe organ and it was open more than ever the next day. I haven't tried with zoas yet sorry.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Riley, when I was at Sealife yesterday they were acclimating 4 copperbands (hope I've got the number right) that are eating mysis and I think pellets as well. Definitely eating mysis. They'd been in quarantine until they were sure that they were eating other foods. Have no idea of the price, I'll get one eventually for the new tank.