Thinking about...nano frag tank

Marz

I just added Trochus snails. I haven't done any research past the trochus and nassarius, does anyone have a suggestion for another snail? Nassarius wouldn't do well without a sand bed and mine is bare bottom (couldn't resist :))

Marz

Any thoughts about a hang on back refugeum or sump? Or maybe just increase water flow? I am not sure the koralia 425 is actually up for the job. As odd as this sounds, I would like my mini frag tank to look just as good as my DT :)

Marz

Since I am still having problems with my Zoa's in my frag tank, and I have picked up a cleaning crew, I though that I would build a refugeum. I was able to pickup an Aquaclear 110 and am converting it over. I wasn't planning on running sand, just rock (rubble) and macro algae. I also made a compartment for the heater and if ever want to add carbon or perigen I have the room.

I still have to figure out the light and have had some suggestions for a clip-on, and am thinking about the JBJ Refugeum ones. Also need to find the macro algae. Any suggestions as to what I put in... just Chaeto?

Also, would I need to run a skimmer ad refugeum on such a small tank? I have no issue with everything running.

Here's a pic of the start. Just finished with the silicon.
sy9ytese.jpg

Marz

I thought that I would provide an update. Fuge is up and running and Manhtu was kind enough to provide me with some Chaeto. The light that I have is the JBJ macro and I do get quite a bit of bleed through. I have been able to put my heater and ATO in the tank so most of the "stuff" is in the fuge (AC110). Yes I know it's big, but the water movement is much better now than with my Koralia which I can't even really use to mix salt IAH. I also have a few frags in there that seem to be recovering slowly and I was able to build a frag rack. For now due to the fuge light bleed through I am running it on same cycle as my main light....I don't yet have a solution for the bleed through. Also I am not use to the PAR38 for taking pics, so you can see the influence the light has on the pictures.

On to some pics :)
Full shot
Fullshot_zps4a208aae.jpg

Little frag that busted off my main frag in the DT, seems to be doing well so far.
Brokenfrag_zps65b68ec2.jpg

One of my recovering frags, we'll see if this one makes it. I have been having a hard time in general keeping zoas, but am trying to work through that. (interesting hobby with many challenges)

slowlycomingback_zpsde4bee9e.jpg

New cheap frag that I picked up at ABD, I liked the look, and thought for the price I wanted to see how it would survive.
Dontknowfrag_zpsd9c7373e.jpg

And Lastly...the "Loving Couple"
2littlefishies_zps296e4d4f.jpg

Marz

I just recently added some chaeto and have everything in the fuge now....but, for the last 3 days, the frag tank has become very cloudy. The parameters all seem fine....I will post a pic as soon as the lights come on, but any suggestions as to why this might be happening?
I did a large water change on Wednesday and will be doing another today as it's my weekly maintenance day.

Here's the pic. Yes there are quite a few bubbles from the Aquaclear 110 fuge that I built. I have to replace the floss in the first chamber and it should reduce them.

Thoughts?
cloudyfragtank_zps092bfabe.jpg

Last edited:

Marz

Nothing died, no carbon, just floss before water gets to fuge (chaeto and rubble), and skimmer. Things seem to doing fine, I have heard that copepod die off could cause this or algae...we'll see where this goes throughout the week then.
I was hoping to keep this simple lol :)

Marz

Do you think I could add a carbon filter and see if this helps to clear it up or am I looking for trouble? Everything I have read leads to me to believe this is a bacterial bloom. I have no desire to add UV as this is only a really small frag tank...

Marz

Small update. Bought "green killing machine" UV on recommendations. Got the tank cleared up. So to celebrate I picked up a few acros and GSP for a great price.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411694205.363492.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411694273.597409.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411694315.902209.jpg

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I believe they are acans. Nice pieces and tanks looking better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk