Id This Please

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Please help me Id this, on this little guy there is about 11 of this. I find the Coral have slow rtn and take it out to examine it. I find this thing to have a hard shell so I take a tweezer and pull it out, the shell broke and leave this hold on the coral. 11 of this on a frag is a lot, it attach to the coral and look like part of the coral. My question is, is this some kind a pest

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Posting a pic for kevin

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410731709055.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410731709055.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 82

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
I would like to add, this thing is not just on my coral, I saw one on my wp as well. It was moving until I touch it than it suck and hold on to the wp. Should have take a picture of it

Last edited:

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Hard to see what exactly you are looking at.. is the pest thing still on the skeleton in the above pics?

I'm wondering if it was maybe just a snail crawling on the dead STN parts of the coral? Back when I was having issues keeping corals alive I sometimes saw snails and amphipods crawling over newly exposed bits of coral skeleton.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Sorry but I can't see anything in the pics , but from your description...

Are they oval and slightly cone shaped with a small hole in the top? If so they are limpets which range from micro algae eaters to opportunistic omnivores. Where most of them will snack a bit on living flesh they are most attracted to dead or dying material and fine micro algae the exceptions being a few purely predatory species that are distinctively brightly coloured.

If limpets match what you are seeing then it is possible they are causing harm but more likely that they are just cleaning up.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Hard to see what exactly you are looking at.. is the pest thing still on the skeleton in the above pics?

I'm wondering if it was maybe just a snail crawling on the dead STN parts of the coral? Back when I was having issues keeping corals alive I sometimes saw snails and amphipods crawling over newly exposed bits of coral skeleton.
No I took it out and it look like thin oyster shell. The hold in the pic are left by them. I think this thing are eating the skeleton.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Sorry but I can't see anything in the pics , but from your description...

Are they oval and slightly cone shaped with a small hole in the top? If so they are limpets which range from micro algae eaters to opportunistic omnivores. Where most of them will snack a bit on living flesh they are most attracted to dead or dying material and fine micro algae the exceptions being a few purely predatory species that are distinctively brightly coloured.

If limpets match what you are seeing then it is possible they are causing harm but more likely that they are just cleaning up.
There colour are like the coral colour. You can't tell until you bring the coral out of the water and let it dry for a bit. Those round hold death part of the coral are made by it, oh I think they eat the skeleton of the coral to built up their shell

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
If you look at the last picture I post, up close to the top of the coral, the death part. The thing was attaching right there sucking or eating the coral skeleton

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Posting some pics for kevin.

Never seen this before. But I'm still a newbie with sps. Maybe some of the sps gurus can chime in.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410911169285.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410911169285.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 83
  • uploadfromtaptalk1410911182379.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410911182379.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 80
  • uploadfromtaptalk1410911210932.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410911210932.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 92
  • uploadfromtaptalk1410911231203.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410911231203.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 74

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Come on guy, this isn't just affect me. if this is a pest in an aquarium, it should affect everybody in the hobby so please help me do some research or take this and post elsewhere to get some answer. thank

jroovers

Super Active Member
As adinfinitum said, what you have observed on the corals probably sounds like limpets cleaning up dead or dying tissue. It is hard to tell, but they are likely not the cause of your problem, likely just a side-effect of what has occurred. There are also some white oval shaped spots on the braches that appear dead - these may be due to feather dusters living in the coral, which is pretty common, especially in mari-cultured pieces (which I'm guessing this is judging from your photos but I could be wrong).

So, in my estimation it is something else. Pattern of tissue loss isn't consistent with AEFW so I don't think that is it. How long has this being going on, and how many pieces are effected (is it just this one or is it more than one)? It looks like you have coralline encrusting on the dead base of the coral, so looks like it has been going on for a bit of time anyway? I wouldn't rule out some type of predatory crab or worm - if so, viewing at night may be your best bet. It also could be water chemistry related - can you provide more info - any issues with alk swings, are you running carbon and gfo and have you changed those levels, any changes to salt type, etc?

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
As adinfinitum said, what you have observed on the corals probably sounds like limpets cleaning up dead or dying tissue. It is hard to tell, but they are likely not the cause of your problem, likely just a side-effect of what has occurred. There are also some white oval shaped spots on the braches that appear dead - these may be due to feather dusters living in the coral, which is pretty common, especially in mari-cultured pieces (which I'm guessing this is judging from your photos but I could be wrong).

So, in my estimation it is something else. Pattern of tissue loss isn't consistent with AEFW so I don't think that is it. How long has this being going on, and how many pieces are effected (is it just this one or is it more than one)? It looks like you have coralline encrusting on the dead base of the coral, so looks like it has been going on for a bit of time anyway? I wouldn't rule out some type of predatory crab or worm - if so, viewing at night may be your best bet. It also could be water chemistry related - can you provide more info - any issues with alk swings, are you running carbon and gfo and have you changed those levels, any changes to salt type, etc?
nice to see you jump in on this Jordan, Those oval shaped spots on the braches that appear dead is where i pick out that pest or thing. after i pick it out i saw that oval shape hole that goes half way or almost though the branch of the coral. i have two piece with that thing and this are piece that i have for a while, not yours. i also dip one in coral RX for AEFW, nothing. my level seem ok. i mention above, their is 11 of that thing on one little frag

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
You should be able to see AEFW and their eggs on the coral without dipping it....Your pics are not clear enough to see the pest you are referring to.
Also, are you sure you don't have red bugs? Again, these are visible (though you must look carefully and closely).... I have found red bugs to be the easiest to spot when all flow is killed....
Maybe try to get some better pics of the pest or Atleast circle the pest you are talking about in the pics you have provided

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk